Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do with a 20 month while schooling older kids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mona
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: What to do with a 20 month while schooling older kids Reply with quote

I have 2 kids in school and a 20 month old. Last year it was really had for the kids to focus on their work and a lot had to do with the baby. I have tried having them do their work in their rooms a before and that usually results in "goofing of" time. This year my daughter will be in 9th grade and will have a large work load so I want to find a solution to this problem before we start. I don't have any other rooms for them to work in. Anyone have any suggestions?

Forums
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with a 20 month while schooling older kids Reply with quote

You could always get a cheap video camera and rig up their study room. That way you can keep an eye on them while you take care of the baby somewhere else in the house. Problem solved Smile
Mona
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. Confused The other rooms in the house are all opened up together so I don't have any other room beside their own rooms and which I am just not going to try that again. I could try to create a barrier so that the baby can't get to the other kids but she will still be able to make her distracting baby noises. Confused

Forums
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also play classical music, which will help to counteract the baby sounds. It might also calm the baby, who knows.
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to set the kids up for school work where their back is to the baby? I know with my third and fourth graders if they can't see the distraction, but they can still hear it, they don't get distracted near as much. It's just an idea...
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My youngest is almost 18mos, so I know how you feel. We aren't doing highschool work yet but He is still a distraction. What we do, is help him do to "school" stuff. While the boys are doing the things that they need a little help with, TJ is at the high chair, drawing and coloring. When TJ takes a nap we do the harder work, when they need me more. I guess my little solution is to involved the baby more, let them get to like school too. I've heard of mom's that give their toddler a bag of goodies to play with while the older kids are doing their work. She had a differnet bag for each day of the week to keep it interesting. I hope this helps. If you get any other ideas let me know. Smile
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
hbmom36
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son was the most challenging at that age. It was impossible to do anything with my daughter, because he would deliberately disrupt it. Now he's 3, and can amuse himself.
luv2bastayathomemom
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: I'm in the same boat Reply with quote

I have a 20 month old and a 4 1/2 year old. The baby drives my 4 1/2 year old nuts when we're trying to do some school work. We can't even play games right now without him "bothering" us and taking all the pieces, etc. I think I'm going to try to put him in his highchair and give him a meal or snack and see how long that lasts. Those baby einstein videos are the only thing that holds his attention. They're only 20-30 minutes long so that's reasonable. Just thinking out loud I guess. One thing I did (accidentally actually), is gave him an empty gallon platic jug with some "things" that he could put in it, through the small opening, and he ended up messing around with that for hours! I couldn't believe it. It was kind of loud when he shook it and made noise, but it did keep him busy so if you don't have any "special" toys, try making something up as a toy.
Good luck.
mkpierce95
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: 3 Kids and a Baby Reply with quote

Hi,

I have four kids ages 6, 5, 4, and 1. I have had the same problems as you with baby being a distraction. I totally rearranged my schedule so that we do chores and free time in the morning and then, while baby is napping in the afternoon, we have school. Now I know yours is older and may not still be napping, but you could train him/her to have "room time". This is just time alone in his/her room to play quietly. You could increase time slowly to where he/she is spending an hour for room time. This would give you some good instruction time.

hth,
Kathleen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: