? Options for Working Mom, wanting to homeschool

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Mone_Joe
User

? Options for Working Mom, wanting to homeschool

Postby Mone_Joe » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:18 pm

I need some helpful advice to help me with what my options are. I'm a fulltime working mom. I work M-F, 9-5. I would rather teach my 2 youngest at home. But financially, we'll be struggling big time if I quit my work altogether. I love my work, even its a 40 min. commute thru slow traffic. This give me no time to teach any lessons to my kids. I'm wondering how other homeschoolers are able to work around their finances? Do you work part time? Does the other parent make a decent salary for the whole family? How do you compensate for lack of extra income? Between myself and my hubby (deployed), we have 6 kids to raise. 3 are in High school, 1 in Middle school, 1 starting Kindergarten and a preschooler. So looking at the size our family, we need 2 incomes. I wish the absent parent would step up to plate to help support their kids financially but how can you get that if they are deadbeat ex-spouses??

Sunshine
User

Postby Sunshine » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:49 pm

Does your job allow you to work from home? That is an option that a lot of corporations have. What about job-sharing or part-time options within your company, which would give you more time at home without a complete income loss.
The sun is always shining in my world!

Mone_Joe
User

Postby Mone_Joe » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:02 pm

Mona
User

Working and Schooling

Postby Mona » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:39 pm

Is finding another part time job not an option? There are many ways you can cut costs around the home to make it work. I have heard of many women that have had full time jobs switch to stay-at-home. Not that I know your home life but it may worth it to find ways to cut expsenses and find part time work or a work at home job. You may also want to look into other health insurance options your state might offer. I live in CA and they have a great health insurance program for middle income families. Maybe your state might have something similar. If you want to homeschool your kids badly enough I am sure you can find a way, even with 6 kids. If you are home full time you can plan meals better and clip coupons. We are a family of 5 and 6 months ago decided we were sick of our debt and made some very big changes. Some months we could only spend $200 for food and that may sound really bad but you can get very creative and find some very inexpensive recipes if you are forced to.
As a homeschool mom for 8 years now, I would not recommend you try homeschooling and working full time outside the home. It takes a lot of time and engery to school your kids. But if you can either cut back to a part time work schedual and or work at home schedual then it's would be much better.
It is my belief that if God is calling you to school your kids at home then he will provide a way.
Just as a side note: 6 months ago when we made our big changes was because we read a very good book called "Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. He is an excellent down to earth, straight forward financial advisor. You can check out his site here..

Also if you are interested in work at home options check out my website. Just click on the banner below. :D
Mona
A wah homeschool mom of 3.
Forums

Return to “Getting Started”