Help with Curriculum please?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Circusmaster
User

Help with Curriculum please?

Postby Circusmaster » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Hello,

I am somewhat new to HS my children. I have a few questions if anyone has time to help me out.

I HS last year(5th and 7th grades) but used Calvert Complete Curriculum(per a suggestion of a friend who HS and not knowing a thing about HS) We also did MUS math on the side. It went pretty well for the first year. This year I have additional kids that need my attention, my 4 & 5 yr olds and then of course the 11 & 13 yr old. Calvert was very organized and I needed that, maybe still do.

Anyway, this brings me to this year and hoping to save some money. I am HS but wanted to try to piece some things together for my kids. My son is in 8th grade and I have no idea what he needs for 8th grade. He did pre-algebra last year with the MUS. My education wasn't in education/teaching so this is a bit difficult for me. I'm not sure where to start. What do others do at this grade level so your kids get all the need before true high school classes. We may put them back into school in the future so I don't want him to be behind. My 11 yr old is doing the Calvert 7th grade stuff we have from last year with some minor tayloring. It is working well for her so far.

So, any advice on my 8th grader would be most appreciated. He is a self starter and did Calvert with very little help from me. He is intelligent and will work through something until he can understand it. I'd love some more stuff he can do on his own so I can have more hands on time with my little kids.

Is there a site someplace that tells what you need to learn when? I hope this makes sense to someone. Thanks!

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Here are two links that will tell you what your kids need to know when. (These lists can be called a scope and sequence or a typical course of study.)

http://www.worldbook.com/typical_course_of_study.html

http://www.educationworld.com/standards ... ndex.shtml

Since your son did Pre-Algebra already, he could do Algebra I this year if you think he is ready.

We use Teaching Textbooks for math and love it. It is easy to understand and it comes with solutions cds so your child can always find out why they missed a question. They also have placement tests on their site, which would be helpful for you to see if your son is ready for Algebra I.

http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/

My two sons took Pre-Algebra in 8th and Algebra I in 9th, but if your son does Algebra I in 8th, that is probably closer to the way the public school system would be.

Teaching Textbooks is expensive, but well worth the price. You can pass it on to all of your children. (You might also be able to buy it used somewhere to save money too.) It is a program that he can do independently, with little or no help from you. I never have to help my kids with math. They do well with Teaching Textbooks.

Hope this helps some.

heidijo
User

Postby heidijo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:13 am

It sounds like you are on the right track. If your son took pre-algebra, then Algebra 1 should be fine for him. That is great that he is self teaching. That is always my goal with my older children.

Apologia Science lends itself well to self teaching too. If you have a curriculum that he enjoys and that covers all the bases, then you could just stick with that. I have a homeschool planner on my site that helps with choosing curriculum. Just move one step beyond where you are now. My husband is a ps teacher and tells me that I just need to be one page ahead of my kids.

Your older 2 children could possibly do some subjects together to save some money, such as History, Science, Bible, PE, Music and Art. We liked a lot of the Spectrum workbooks. They were cheap yet very effective. The kids could get their work done and then move on to doing the fun stuff with me and the younger kids.

I hope this helped. Let me know if you need any more info.
Heidi
http://www.homeschool-how-to.com
Articles, Tips and Resources for new and veteran homeschool parents

mathops1
User

Algebra Curriculum

Postby mathops1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Have your son try www.mathops.com for algebra. Just click on the Free Lessons button in the upper left hand corner.

Email me if you have any questions: mathops2@gmail.com
Kathy Ferguson
www.mathops.com

David Brown
User

Postby David Brown » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:06 pm

mathops1
User

8th Grade Math Curriculum

Postby mathops1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:36 am

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”