What can I do to help my child?

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jan
User

What can I do to help my child?

Postby jan » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:52 pm

MY CHILD HAS TROUBLE PAYING ATTENTION HE HAS TOUBLE SITTING STILL . IT HAS KEPT MY CHILD IN TROUBLE SINCE SINCE HE STARTED SCHOOL! OF COURSE THE SCHOOL SYSTEMS ANSWER WAS MEDICATION. I WILL BE HS THIS YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME, HE REALLY HAS TROUBLE CONCENTRATING. HE USUALLY DOESN'T STAY FOCUSED ON ANYTHING VERY LONG. THIS PAST YEAR IN SCHOOL HE WAS ALWAYS IN TROUBLE FOR THE SAME THING ,THE TEACHER EXPLAINED HOW AND WHAT THEY WERE TO DO AND GAVE THE ASSIGNMENT ALL THE OTHER CHILDREN WOULD START. MY SON HAD NOT PAID ATTENTION AND WOULD BE CLUELESS! THE TEACHER WOULD HAVE TO TRY TO EXPLAIN IT TO HIM AGAIN AND TELL HIM HOW HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE PAYING ATTENTION HE MAY OR MAY NOT GET IT THEN IF HE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND HE WOULD BECOME ANGRY AND FRUSTRATED AND WOULD SIMPLE SHUT DOWN AND NOT WANT TO DO ANYTHING. THIS ESPECIALLY HAPPENED AT MATH TIME WHICH WAS IN THE EVENINGS! I KNOW THAT THIS WILL BE A TEST FOR MYSELF AND MY CHILD TO TEACH HIM. HE IS A GOOD BOY,HE IS HYPER AND HAS TROUBLE STAYING FOCUSED AND PAYING ATTENTION. PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR! I NEED ALL THE HELP THAT I CAN GET!

Theodore

WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP MY CHILD ???.....

Postby Theodore » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:12 am

I've probably said this in other posts, but have you tried just tiring him out a bit before study time? A few laps around the house, or 10 or 15 minutes on a punching bag, or any other sort of physical activity you think he'll enjoy, and he should be nice and docile when it comes time to study. Plus, you can then count it as phys ed :)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:48 pm

My son had the same problem, he now works best when he has something going on in the background, classical music, or a story tape. If he is supposed to be listening to me read, he draws in his sketch book. When he reads to me, he bounces or kicks a ball. Some people work best doing more than on thing at a time. Hands on activities are also great. They realy keep him busy and learning at the same time.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

MeganWiles
User

Postby MeganWiles » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:43 pm

I agree with what momo3boys said, but also, if you haven't already tried this, you might try talking to your doctor or a nutritionist. Make it clear that medication is not something that you will consider, but that you are looking for alternatives that might help. Sometimes a change in diet can have a drastic affect on behavior and attention. If you can find the right professional who believes in dealing with attention problems through nutrition and behavior modification you might find great success. Of course...it can be hard to find someone like that. Good luck!

Lkat83
User

Postby Lkat83 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:27 am

Seeker
User

Postby Seeker » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:43 pm

My son had similiar problems. We put him on fish oil, because I read of some research that it can help with adhd. They need the omega-3 fatty acids. After a only a week on it he was like a new boy. As long as your child is not allergic to fish it should be safe, you can ask your doctor. We give our boy 1/2 tsp a day.
Also I made a weighted puppy dog to put on his lap. You could try that or they sell weighted vests, the pressure seems to calm some kids.

www.abilitations.com should have the vests. I made a 1ft long puppy dog out of sturdy stretchy fabric and filled it with rice. It is heavy and he can keep it on his lap or over his shoulders. This was a blessing for calming him in church.

Another thing that helped my son was practically no tv or videos. I really think it can affect the attention span. I only let him watch when I really needed him to sit and be still (like to make a phone call or take a shower etc) and since it was a rare treat it worked.

Last but not least, pray for him. Even let him hear you praying for him. God can work miracles for these hyper little kids.

hth
Angie
Your Word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You...

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:24 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

rebelchai
User

Son less hyperactive

Postby rebelchai » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:40 pm

We tried the specific carbohydrate diet and our son improved dramatically. Of course, we later discovered he has Celiac's disease, so I'm sure cutting out all the crap that was making him sick helped a lot.
Last edited by rebelchai on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:40 am

most excellant Rebalchai!

keep digging and find the underlying cause..

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”