Computer based curriculum

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

GTHill
User

Computer based curriculum

Postby GTHill » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:23 pm

I have two children, one in first grade and one is third. Both are good kids until it comes to school. Mom gets frustrated with the time it takes to complete the lessons (longer than it should). We purchased the A Beka school on DVD and while it is decent, there are many aspects we don't care for.

We are currently searching for a computer based training system that isn't just a live class recorded and sold. A big part of my job is to train adults via video for high tech subjects and I would never just record a live session and call it good for teaching someone via video only.

That leaves me to the real question then. What would you recommend for computer based education programs? Any insight is much appreciated.

GT

dkocur
User

Postby dkocur » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 am

Hi GT,

I don't know of any complete curriculum, but if math is one of the areas where your kids are taking too long I'd really recommend you take a look at my program, UberSmart Math Facts. It addresses math speed issues at the root of the problem (in most cases), the recollection speed of the basic math facts.

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Teaching Textbooks is an excellent computer based math program. Kids can work on it independently. It comes with solutions cds, which are very helpful.

http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/

htbibby
User

Postby htbibby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:37 am

My children (3-6yrs) love these sites as they can work by themselves at their own pace, they are interactive, a lot of fun and some offer 'rewards' for work completed.

www.readingeggs.com
www.studyladder.com.au
www.clicknkids.com
www.mathletics.com
www.time4learning.com

also try the Reader Rabbit cd-roms they are also alot of fun for the kids to practice what they have learnt but it doesn't actually teach the child the concepts of each subject.

Hope this helps :D

homeschooler123
User

Postby homeschooler123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm

I signed up for the free trial for my daughter who is in 1st grade. She LOVES it! She is learning so quickly, and even her teacher has commented about how farLindsey has come. Honestly, she has gone from knowing most letter sounds to reading complete sentences in less than 3 weeks.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”