Can someone tell me exactly what this means?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ptcbass
User

Can someone tell me exactly what this means?

Postby ptcbass » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:08 pm

I am trying to figure out if ds will have to take any kind of state test every year and if so what are the requirements. This sounds like I won't have to take him (who knows where or who to) to take a test but every 3 years.
I hate the way they word these things sometimes. Can someone tell me exactly what they are trying to say here and what to expect.

GA Law:
Students in home study programs shall be subject to an appropriate nationally standardized testing program administered in consultation with a person trained in the administration and interpretation of norm referenced tests. The student must be evaluated at least every three years beginning at the end of the third grade. Records of such tests shall be retained.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:23 pm

At the end of the third grade and every third year following that. So if you're doing exactly one grade per year (unlikely, but possible), you'd be testing at the end of third and sixth and then possibly ninth, unless the testing rules change for high school (I'd want to see the entire text of the law).

As for where and how to take the test, any nationally standardized test will do, and you should be able to call or visit their web site to find testing centers or approved testers near you. There are all sorts of state tests, and some third-party tests as well (I believe Bob Jones University offers testing / assessment services from kindergarten on up, for instance).

ptcbass
User

Postby ptcbass » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:22 am

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure. Now I have found this text that also says I don't have to turn in the test to the state.

5. Students in home study programs shall be subject to an appropriate nationally standardized testing program administered in consultation with a person trained in the administration and interpretation of norm reference tests to evaluate their educational progress at least every three years beginning at the end of the third grade and records of such tests and scores shall be retained but shall not be required to be submitted to public educational authorities; and
6. The home study program instructor shall write an annual progress assessment report which shall include the instructor’s individualized assessment of the student’s academic progress. Reports shall be retained by the parent(s) or guardian of children in the home study program for a period of at least three years.

I thought maybe the test was something i could just get and him take at home but it sounds like I have to arrange for him to go somewhere for it. What did you mean about one grade per year (unlikely, but possible). I thought they all did one grade per year. Am I missing something here? Sorry for all the questions. :?: I haven't read the sections on record keeping yet. How hard is it to write assessment reports?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:05 pm

The public school system moves you along one grade at a time in all subjects. If you fail in one, you can be held back. Homeschooling is different - you can move at a regular speed in some subjects and then at a highly-accelerated pace in others. Or you could go at the same speed in everything, but study faster and year-round and be a couple grades ahead by the end of high school. So when they say three yearss, it means three years, not necessarily three grades.

No, the test results don't have to be submitted, just retained in case someone ever accuses you of truancy or something and you have to produce evidence that you were legally homeschooling.

ptcbass
User

Postby ptcbass » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:44 pm

Ok so if my accelerated subject son moves at a fast pace through all the subjects then can he "graduate" early? How does a home schooled child get a official HS Diploma? Can they finish everything they need early on and then go ahead on to college or do they need to still go through the motions with all the grades a year at a time by state standards?

Sorry for so many questions. As you can tell I am still VERY new at all of this.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Sorry for not getting back to the thread for so long! Have been busy with work. In answer to your questions, yes, you can graduate early as long as you've either taken the GED or fulfilled the high school graduation requirements for your state. Of the two choices, the latter is probably better if you want to get into a decent college, and keep in mind that colleges may have additional entrance requirements on top of what the state requires. Generally a good idea to research colleges a few years in advance to find out.

I should also note, while I'm at it, that doing all four years at a four-year college is usually a waste of money. It's far more cost-effective to spend a year or two testing through things and taking community college courses - you can often save tens of thousands of dollars by only doing the last two years at the college.

Return to “Getting Started”