Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hs in MO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: hs in MO Reply with quote

I can't say we are new to hs. We have been teaching our girls since they were born. I have a 5th grader in public school. We supplement her education at home. Our soon to be 6 yr old is a different story. Two weeks too young to start K last year (as per the State). We took a relaxed hs approach. She has done very well. We wanted to place her in 1st this year. No she is too young, even though she is doing 1st and 2nd grade work the district wants her placed in K. Why would she want to repeat things she has already learned? We have since increased our hs time and subjects. We have been enjoying this change.
Mone_Joe
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its too bad how the public school system has a set policy to have kids start school after they turn 5 years old, even if they are close to turning 5 before the end of the year. Its gotten ridiculous to where some parents plan to have their baby to be born before Sept 1st!!! I have a son who's birthday falls around Thanksgiving. But I plan on hs'ing him. I'm glad that you are continueing on his hs'ing.
J
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support! It is always welcome. I wish our family could see our view point instead of following the mainstream thinking of not challenging the system. Having friends and socializing in school are more important than actual learning. - Some people need to wake up look at the future adults we are raising!
Mommabunny
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it incredibly amusing when people question how my kids are getting socialized...that they need to go to "real" school for that. However, what do teachers say to the kids all the time..."you're here to learn, not to socialize" Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: