Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-3yr old activity ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincap
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: 2-3yr old activity ideas Reply with quote

Hi

I am thinking of starting a homeschool/co-op for preschoolers in my area. I have a 28 month old with fatal food and contact allergies to dairy, eggs and nuts, so even just being around people who eat those items can make him break out. That has led me to consider homeschooling and I am liking the idea more and more.

I am putting together a meet-up/get-together for tots in the area about age 2-3. Thinking that we will have some structure but not much. For example, free play, activity, free play. But I am not sure what to do for the activity time. I figured maybe a story circle or music, but what else could be done?

Any good links to activities that are fun for 2-3 yr olds?

Thanks!

Linda
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my kids were that age (I had 2 close in ages) we used to make edible finger paint, it was something fun them to do and still safe enough for people obsessed with sticking things in their mouths! I don't know if this is messier than what you had in mind, but the little ones sure enjoy it.

Kool-Aid Finger Paint

What you need:
• 2 cups flour
• 2 packs unsweetened Kool-Aid
• 1/2 cup salt
3 cups boiling water
• 3T. oil
What to do:
Mix wet into dry.

Jello Finger Paint

What you need:
• Any kind of flavored Jello
• Boiling water
What to do:
Mix Jello into boiling water until it is a goo consistency for finger paint. Use normal finger painting material or glossy paper. Kids love the smell and feel of it.

I know I have more activities somewhere. I'll dig through my bookmarks and post again when I track them down.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, my oldest son is anaphylactic to peanuts. It can be scary, huh?

I think it would be fine (and less stressful) to do all free play at this age, but this site has some ideas for activities:

Homeschooling Preschool

I really like finger painting, playdoh, cutting and gluing pictures from magazines, and scavenger hunts for that age. Playing with water or sand outside is also fun.

Carletta
bright_tomato
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda, what a great idea.

I took my son to a place called KinderMusik when he was 2 and they had this simple group activity which all the little ones loved. The teacher would place lots of finger puppets in the middle and all the kids sat around in a cirlcle with their mums, each kid picked out a puppet. then the teacher went around the room and asked each child what puppet they had (usually they were animals - rabbit, turtle, lion, etc) and what noise they make or what they can do (jump, fly, skip, etc) kids could just make up anything fun they liked and everybody had to join in doing the same action with their puppets or making the same noise.
here is a site with some ideas on making your own finger puppets
http://www.freekidcrafts.com/finger-puppets.html

another one they also loved was playing with multi-colored scarves - each kid would grab one and dance, jump twirl, etc with their scarves to music.

an excellent exercise for balancing is placing a skipping rope on the floor and getting kids to try and walk on it. they can pretend it's a path or a bridge or something, you can incorporate it into some pretend game.

Check out some of the articles from my site for more ideas

http://www.brighttomato.com.au/finemotor.htm
http://www.brighttomato.com.au/pretendplay2.htm
http://www.brighttomato.com.au/pretendplay1.htm
FCMomofaBunch
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin,

That is so fascinating! My neighborhood is also starting a preschool/homeschool co-op in our area. I would love to hear how everything has been going since April. We are starting up in about two weeks and I'm not having very much luck finding materials on the plethora of homeschooling websites I have bookmarked.

Does anyone have any ideas for the following subjects?

Sharing
Truthfulness
Respect
Joyfulness
Kindness
Love
Patience

Thank you!
Andrea, Mom to Anna (3), Gabriel (1) and Madeline (3 months)
sandysand
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ophelia wrote:
When my kids were that age (I had 2 close in ages) we used to make edible finger paint, it was something fun them to do and still safe enough for people obsessed with sticking things in their mouths! I don't know if this is messier than what you had in mind, but the little ones sure enjoy it.

Kool-Aid Finger Paint

What you need:
• 2 cups flour
• 2 packs unsweetened Kool-Aid
• 1/2 cup salt
3 cups boiling water
• 3T. oil
What to do:
Mix wet into dry.

Jello Finger Paint

What you need:
• Any kind of flavored Jello
• Boiling water
What to do:
Mix Jello into boiling water until it is a goo consistency for finger paint. Use normal finger painting material or glossy paper. Kids love the smell and feel of it.

I know I have more activities somewhere. I'll dig through my bookmarks and post again when I track them down.

I will have to try this, my kid will love it and I've been wanting new activities to try with her. Very Happy
Darlin77
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done preschool co-op with 3 of my children and have loved the results. I loved doing centers with them, so they could rotate through some fun activities and I could work with one group on a more individal basis (good for a more difficult activitiy). Some center ideas are: blocks, fingerpainting, play-dough, small-manipulatives, magnet letters on a cookie sheet, lacing cards, puzzles, matching games, dry erase boards, etc) Then you could do an art activity with the small group that is with you.
spinky
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I usually do a lot of creative stuff with my little one.
One of his favourite activities is painting Eggshells.
I usually stick an eggshell over a skewer, and put the other end in a sliced piece of potato (as stand).
Whichever way he paints it, it ends up looking nice.

You will find some craft - like Aquarium, rocket and other stuff on

http://spinningmemories.blogspot.com

Regards
Shalu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: