New to this in Minnesota

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Deadhead1942
User

New to this in Minnesota

Postby Deadhead1942 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:18 am

Hi, I am looking for some help as I dive into the home school journey with my children. We did a virtual academy last year which was a public school but she stayed home. I thought it would be a good fit but it wasn't. I have decided to go full out home schooling for both my children. My oldest daughter is 10 and was a few grade levels behind when she started the virtual school and it didn't really improve much. My youngest is going to be 6 and has never sat foot in a public school except for when we would pick up her sister from the one she use to go to. I am having a hard time with trying to figure out how to go about with the curriculum for my girls but not have to pay an arm and a leg for one. I have been looking online for ideas and have seen things about unit studies and really structured curriculum's that can be bought but the structured ones are expensive and seam like the kind that k-12 was and we don't want a repeat of that again. Any ideas would be helpful. I have been looking at using math mammoth for math for them, has anyone used it, is it any good??? for everything else I am at a loss. I would like to be able to start our school year at the end of the month and could really use some ideas on which way to go. Thanks.

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:08 pm

Kasey443
User

I am also from Minnesota

Postby Kasey443 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:22 am

Hi, I am also from Minnesota and just starting to check out homeschooling. I wanted to ask if you checked out the free homeschooling sites. I have only found one, and do not know if it is a site anybody recommends. It is called Minnesota Connections Academy and claims it is all free. I wrote to one of the people on there, and have not received a reply. I also do not have extra funds for buying books and materials.

Return to “Getting Started”