Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Record keeping in Texas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle1520
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Record keeping in Texas? Reply with quote

We are moving there this summer and I want to start HSing my son come fall. He will be 2nd grade by then. The city we're moving to doesn't have a local HS group that I could find. I would appreciate any input about TX laws, or lack thereof. Thanks.
~Michelle
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Lone Star State. Very Happy

There are *zero* accountability requirements in Texas (oh, there are some required "subjects," but you'd have to try really hard *not* to teach them, so they're hardly worth mentioning).

The only records you should keep are those which might be useful if for some reason your dc ended up in school--immunization records, photocopy of birth certificate, a report card here and there.

Of course, you'll have records that will help you decide what to do next and like that, but those are for your own use.

And whatever you do, do NOT feel you have to notify local school officials that you're in town and homeschooling. Really. Don't. Smile

Have you checked with Texas Home School Coalition for a support group?
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Michelle1520
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! That certainly eases my mind. I will check that link you provided. Again, thanks!
~Michelle
txfamilyof7
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for that link!! I didn't know that kids could take the SATs at state expense. Found a lot of other great information on there too, so thank you so much! Smile
http://www.homeschoolingforfree.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: