New to homeschooling.. 10th grade curriculm?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

miilkywayme
User

New to homeschooling.. 10th grade curriculm?

Postby miilkywayme » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:50 pm

I am in 10th grade and I have gotten my parents interested in the benefits of homeschooling. We're looking into it right now. I live in the state of Texas, which I'm sure you all already know is very lenient to homeschooling. I am college-bound and would hope to go to University of Texas.

In 9th grade I completed: English 9, Algebra 1, Biology, World Geography, Debate 1 and French 1.

For English, I figured I could just read a lot of literature, work on extending my vocabulary, work of creative and technical writing, and just kind of analyze the texts I read. As for world history, which I am to take this year, well my family loves history. Or my dad, brother, and sister do. I could go to them for questions, and besides that, just read up on information from the time periods, read biographies, read books written in those times, etc. Will these ideas suffice?

Now where we face a dilemma is in math, science and foreign language. I'm quite good in math and science, I just wouldn't know how to go about learning it. Should we just buy CD programs for those two subjects (I will be taking Geometry and Chemistry this year) since I don't really like textbooks? How else would we supplement this learning?
And are there any french programs which don't cost an arm and a leg?

As for electives I will be taking when I home school... well I figured some kind of arts, which would be incredibly easy, coming from such a creative family. I also thought of a home-economics type course would be good, and a nice excuse for my mother to make me clean and cook. :)

Does this seem good for a curriculum? Is there anything else I need to add? Sorry for the length, I just wanted to give enough information. :) Thanks!

homeschooling911
User

You are on track!

Postby homeschooling911 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 pm

http://homeschooling911.com/blog/
Your Comprehensive Home School Resource

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Bedelopret
User

Postby Bedelopret » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:47 am

HSteacher
User

Postby HSteacher » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:41 am

The best geometry textbook for 10th graders is A High School First Course In Euclidean Plane Geometry It contains a lot of example solutions in great details and many real life problems in science and engineering that can be tackled by an average 10th grade student. It is easy to read and to understand. It contains a study guide my students benerited from it immensely. I highly recommend it.

KangaToHerRoo
User

Postby KangaToHerRoo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:01 pm

mamaistheword
User

Postby mamaistheword » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Life is worth living so Smile :)

SocalHS
User

Re: New to homeschooling.. 10th grade curriculm?

Postby SocalHS » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:25 pm

If you are interested in literature-based English/History study, you can use any number of online reading list websites to create a program for yourself. One I really like is http://www.highschoolreadinglist.com. Good luck!

quitzonsandy
User

Re: New to homeschooling.. 10th grade curriculm?

Postby quitzonsandy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:39 pm

The top textbook in geometry for 10th graders is First-year Euclidean Plane Geometry at High School It includes numerous detailed sample solutions as well as numerous real-world science and engineering issues that can be solved by a student in the average 10th grade. It is simple to read and comprehend. It includes a study guide, and my pupils found great value in it. I heartily endorse it. https://geometry-dash.io/

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”