The Learnables

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

MOMS
User

The Learnables

Postby MOMS » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Has anyone used "The Learnables"? What is the youngest age you would start this program?
Married to Big Hondo <~ luv this guy ;)
StevieRay (12)
Sato (8 )
Mia (6)
Baby Hondo (4)

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:46 pm

If I remember correctly, it's just pictures + audio, so even a young child ought to be able to get the hang of it. Maybe age 5, to give you time to teach English reading and writing first?

homeschooling911
User

Postby homeschooling911 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:57 pm

I did use the Learnables with my two older children. I'd say you could start at around age 7, and they shouldn't have any problem with it. It's the kind of thing you can even take in the car with you.

Now I will say that they will not learn to speak a language just from using The Learnables. But my theory about languages is that being exposed to them makes neurons fire and connections in the brain happen that wouldn't otherwise happen. I have always tried to expose my kids to languages. My 8-year old is using Rosetta Stone Italian. But I will grant you that Rosetta Stone is expensive. At the same time, one level will last him probably three years so it kind of balances out.

I think The Learnables is a great program to give your kids some exposure to a foreign language.
http://homeschooling911.com/blog/
Your Comprehensive Home School Resource

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”