Homeschooling and working full-time

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

marcip
User

Homeschooling and working full-time

Postby marcip » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:55 am

Anyone else do this? I am a nurse, so I only work three 12-hour night shifts, but I am a little concerned that I may be trying to do too much. I really think that homeschooling will be what's best for my son, I was just wondering if anyone here has made it work for them. I did purchase a preschool curriculum for this year just to try it out- I just want to do a few days a week to get a feel for how we work together at it. I am not going to have a whole lot of prep-time each week, with work, keeping up with housework, and family time. Plus I have concerns because my son is an only child and our infertility issues may unfortunately keep it that way. Will we make each other crazy? :lol: Thanks!
Marci, Full-time pediatric nurse and Mommy to Vaughn(3yrs)

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:43 am

I have a friend who is a nurse and she homeschools her son. You can make it work. I know another homeschool mom who teaches her two kids and works weekends (like 12 or 16 hours at a time). She is also a nurse.

I don't think you will make each other crazy. :D One day when he is grown, you will really look back and treasure the time you spent together. It is really neat when you get to be the one who teaches your child to read, etc. They grow up so fast. If you enjoy being with him, then you will love homeschooling.

At such a young age, his actual academic lessons will not take much time at all to accomplish. Then when he gets a little older, he will do a lot of his work independently.

I always do all of my planning in the summer. That way it is done for the whole year and it takes stress off. Maybe you could do that too.

Return to “Getting Started”