New to this Please Help!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

FastPace68
User

New to this Please Help!

Postby FastPace68 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:22 pm

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 pm

aupton9355
User

Where to Start?

Postby aupton9355 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:14 pm

I agree! You definately want to find out your state laws first and then maybe get some homeschool preparation guides from your local library or from websites that specialize in homeschool products and parenting resources such as here: http://www.nestlearning.com/parent-resources_c1824.aspx You will also find that there are many blogs out there that do a great job in getting you all you need to decide which curriculum, state laws, record keeping, and more such as http://www.nestlearning.com/homeeducator/.

Good Luck! Homeschooling can be very rewarding!

FastPace68
User

thanks!

Postby FastPace68 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:19 pm

Thank you so much for the help!

So there ARE computer based options? that's great news! My Wife and I were thinking that would be the best method since our children are quite adept with using the computer and internet.

Do you know of any good programs or products or something like that you can recommend for us to get started?

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:22 pm

One company that is popular for computer curriculum is Alpha Omega. They make Switched on Schoolhouse. Here is the link. --

http://www.aophomeschooling.com/switche ... erview.php

I have used Switched on Schoolhouse but only for individual subjects. We were pleased with it. (I did not buy the complete curriculum.)

There is a program on the internet that a lot of people say is good. I have not used it myself. You could check it out and see what you think. It is called Time 4 Learning.

http://www.time4learning.com/

FastPace68
User

did some research

Postby FastPace68 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:25 am

after doing some research this weekend, we were able to find something called VSCHOOLZ. Which is like an online, virtual school program we can use on the computer. They help you become a licensed teacher with the state and the content is customizable, which is great for us because we want to incorporate faith based education into our lessons. I think we're going to go this route because of how simple it's making it for us to get started, and since the kids are good with computers.

Just wanted to share to let you all know about it. We were really excited when we found this! go to vschoolz.com !!!

Katiehathaway75
User

Helpful learning systems?

Postby Katiehathaway75 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:27 pm

What is VSCHOOLZ? I have been looking into Laurel Springs and the 4learning thing. I like the online aspect of these things 'cause my girls love FB and other online sites. Let me know what you find out about VSCHOOLZ. Has anyone else heard about them? :)
Katie, mom of two DDs

FastPace68
User

VSCHOOLZ!

Postby FastPace68 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:26 am

The best way I can describe VSCHOOLZ is like a virtual "school-in-a-box" type program. It's all used on the computer. It's taken ALL the guesswork out of us getting started with the whole homeschooling process. AND the material is customizable so if you wanted to exclude certain things or include certain lessons, it makes it possible. You really should check them out, we're very excited to be using them this year. VSCHOOLZ.com is the website, I believe.

Katiehathaway75
User

VSCHOOLZ sounds interesting. But taking only what you need?

Postby Katiehathaway75 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:54 am

Hi FastPace
I was wondering about this Vschoolz. Can you only take a couple of the courses from them... say the ones that I feel I would be doing an injustice to my dds if I taught them? I will be looking more into it to see if you can do that, but would appreciate any info you could supply. Thanks
Katie, mom of two DDs

hollyb
User

put on the brakes

Postby hollyb » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:38 am

Humbly, I'd like to add a new voice to the direction you seem to be pursuing. I don't know the ages of your children, but I'm assuming that if they're on computers a lot they're maybe in upper elementary or middle school.

Please consider: our nation's kids are overweight and undernourished in both food for the body and food for the mind. More and more research (not to mention common sense) is showing that too much "screen time," be it television, video/computer games, Facebook, or texting is crippling our kids abilities to think critically, problem solve, troubleshoot, or process logically. (Sadly, it is teaching them to be critical!)

Homeschooling gives you, the parent, an AMAZING and UNIQUE opportunity to pull your students away from the things that are not working in education and enrich their minds with things that are PROVEN to develop a healthy mind and body.

Computers are wonderful tools to be used by a ready mind-NOT a playground to grow up on. A supplement, perhaps. An enrichment to your regular program.

Please consider teaching your children offline. Use the online options in the older years and harder subjects when you, the parent-teacher, need some assistance. If YOU insert yourself as the parent AND the teacher in the early years, then when they go through difficult teen years, you've already established yourself as their teacher and mentor. They'll trust you more, confide in you more.

Just my thoughts after 13+ years of teaching my kiddos.
My prayers and encouragement to you. Godspeed.
holly

Return to “Getting Started”