Curriculum choices for 7th grade son?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Lisa
User

Curriculum choices for 7th grade son?

Postby Lisa » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:08 pm

this will be our first year HS... our 7th grade son... How difficult is this age?
He has come from Private school and has used Saxon for 3 years..
He is very much looking forward to this..
Im looking for curr choices..
Thank you for your help Lisa

Isikole
User

Postby Isikole » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:20 am

First question would have to be christian or secular? With christian curriculum your choices are far more broad, and much more cost-effective. Secular, on the other hand, has not as many full curriculum choices, and they often tend to be a bit more pricey. However, you can put a very good one together for less than $500! I have just recently finished getting my secular package together for my 9th grader, and I could help you in the secular direction. There are many others on this board that will be able to help you with christian curriculum.

You might want to do a search for 7th grade curriculum and see what you come up with in that area.

Lisa
User

Postby Lisa » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:31 pm

thank you, it would be christian...

Isikole
User

Postby Isikole » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:10 am

If that's your preference you might want to look into Alpha Omega publications. They do offer many great packages, Switched on Schoolhouse being one of them, which is very popular.

http://www.aop.com

Lisa
User

Postby Lisa » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:18 am

I did choose SOS for History and Science...
Thank you

Isikole
User

Postby Isikole » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:53 am

To answer your other question about starting in 7th grade. Many years back, in 1995, I started homeschooling my son of that age. It was very daunting at first, but once I got into the swing of things I was amazed at how easy it really was. I think that with the higher grades, it is easier to get them to work independently. It got to a point where I could give him his assignments in the morning, and he would complete them by himself. The important thing is to make sure that they - and you - are disciplined enough, and committed to making it work. He has to know that you're still in charge, and his work has to be completed. This can be a very rewarding time for both of you, and the relationship that I formed with my son during that time, has definitely strengthened our bond as he's moved into the adult world........
Last edited by Isikole on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa
User

Postby Lisa » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:01 pm

thank you, that is what I needed to hear!

Isikole
User

Postby Isikole » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:55 am

You are welcome! :) I wish you all the best.........

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”