Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start DS in Kindergarten or 1st grade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partyoffive
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Start DS in Kindergarten or 1st grade Reply with quote

My DS who will be 5 in August is a very bright little boy.

He is inquisitive and curious and nosy and very hands-on.

He comes to me all the time while I am teaching my older DS who is in 1st grade now and wants to join in.

He knows his ABC's and can count to 100 and can count to 10 in French.

He loves learning, and is very interested in nature and anything hands-on.

I am just trying to weigh the positives and negatives against starting 1st grade at the age of 5.

Any input?

Thanks Very Happy
DS&DD (3/10)
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my very strongest recommendation:

When it is necessary to put a grade-level designation on a child, it should be the one according to the cut-off date in the state where he lives. In most states, your ds would be entering kindergarten this fall. That's what *I'd* call him. When I owned/administered an umbrella school, that was the rule, without exception.

You would, of course, teach him at his ability, regardless of his "grade level." If he's capable of doing first-grade work, then do that.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Jill
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Grade levels are mostly for "outside the homeschool world." It's what people understand. It makes life easier to just go with that and know it's just an arbitrary label.

If you put them in outside activities (like drama classes, church, camp) the cutoff is usually grade based ~ and using the "standard grade for their age method" has worked well for us. For example, mine go to an overnight summer camp where the cutoffs are being a rising 4th grader for one program and a rising 8th grader for another. Even though my youngest is doing 8th grade work (in most subjects) as a rising 6th grader (age wise), and is perfectly comfortable hanging out with her sister's high school aged friends at home, I would never say she was an 8th grader for camp purposes. So, report the standard grade for their age outside the home, and teach them what they need inside the home.

Best wishes!
partyoffive
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, both of you Smile
DS&DD (3/10)
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many reasons and from my own personal experience, I would start him in kindergarten in the fall. It is a good thing for him to be in the correct grade level. It will benefit him later when he is older. If he takes classes at a homeschool co-op or needs to tell what grade he's in for other activities, it will be better. (think about when he is a teenager - size, socially, driver's license, etc.)
Jakk
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5 yr old daughter that completed kindergarten work and is already doing first grade work. She will be starting "Kindergarten" in the fall, although all of her work is considered first grade. That is the beauty of homeschooling, even though she is technically in K, she can do work at HER level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: