Classic Math Method?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

Classic Math Method?

Postby ClassicLearning » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:37 am

Apparently math has come a long ways since I was in school (US) and I would appreciate a bit of help in finding out what "method" I need to look for to find a good math book for my 4th grader. I want the simple old fashion math that was taught when I was in school in elementary in the 70s.

He loves math but is frustrated with the "school" new math taught methods and really loves it when I teach him how I learned but I would like to get a good book to work with so I don't miss anything. He has long multiplication and long division down pat and is pretty good with fractions and decimals but hasn't gotten into them very much yet.

So basically I'm hoping someone can point me at the right books for the classical math methods that were taught in the 70s. It was suggested that I look at "Singapore math" but the samples I've seen so far seem on the right track but don't quite include all the basics and have very little practice work. I'm pretty sure we didn't have math books from Singapore when I was in school but I admit I didn't pay much attention when I was that young. :wink:

Postby Alicelewis11 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:41 pm

I concede that established training may be slacking in the math department. The new traditional schools are doing little with the Quadrivium, the other four liberal expressions (number juggling, geometry, space science, and music). The Trivium, which is continuously executed to extraordinary impact (syntax, rationale, and talk), need to do with mastering dialect and what you can do with it. The Quadrivium need to do with math (yes, even in the way music was taught).

Return to “Math”