im a bit stuck as to what to do

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ukrachel
User

im a bit stuck as to what to do

Postby ukrachel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:47 am

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Here's a link that might be helpful. -

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-homeschool-in-the-uk

DeeMom
User

im stuck too!

Postby DeeMom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:56 am

Hello! I'm new to forum. I have a concern about my son who is asthmatic and his performance in school. He was diagnosed with asthma long before he entered school. However over the years, the asthma seems to be worening. He is on so many medications that he acts very hyper and very aggitated toward the kids and teachers. He often would be up all night taking nebulizer treatments and then missing school the next day because of being up all night. I am a teacher at his school and I often would have to take him home due to asthma attacks or be out with him while he recovers.
I am considering homeschooling him due to the fact that he has not had one asthma episode since school was in session. We are out for the summer and he is not having asthma attacks. He seems calmer and not as stressed and I love the fact that he is well and happier! However if I homeschool, I would have to stop teaching as my career and would lose that salary in which my family needs so very much. I don't know what to do. I was thinking of trying to find a nighttime job so that I can teach him during the day while working at night. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to see my son be the best he can be!

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:22 am

It sounds like homeschooling would be 'just the thing' for your son. My nephew has asthma and sometimes when he gets upset about something at school, he goes into an attack. I don't know if you've ever read anything about it, but I have read that asthma can be very closely related to emotions. It sounds like your son is unhappy in school. I think he would love homeschooling and he could still have time for activities and making friends. You could join a homeschool support group in your area.

You would be surprised that you can live without your salary. You can make adjustments. One thing you can do is sit down with your husband and look at anything you could do without (cell phones, cable TV, eating out, whatever). Also, you will save a lot of money on clothes and gas, etc. since you wouldn't be going to work.

And yes, you could also find a job working at night or on the weekends so that you could homeschool during the day.

And then one day when your son graduates, you could still go back to work full time if you need to or want to. You could look at it like this ---
he needs me right now, so I will be at home. Before you know it, he will be grown and then you can work again to help with expenses.

DeeMom
User

Postby DeeMom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:43 am

Thank You very much for the reply! I will let you know how it goes. This will be a huge transitional time for me and my family. Hopefully my son will benefit from the sacrifices that will have to be made. I hope your right about the finacial adjustment. My husband and I will see where things fall with this transition! :)

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”