Parents in......Algebra

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

babaika
User

Parents in......Algebra

Postby babaika » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:24 pm

Warmest Regards

Theodore

Re: Parents in......Algebra

Postby Theodore » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:33 pm

You can work through the material yourself using textbooks and online syllabuses, but this gets increasingly difficult as you advance beyond algebra into trig and calculus, and online courses don't really help, since it's hard to convey advanced equations through typing. My advice is to take math courses at a homeschool co-op or local community college, where you can get decent hands-on instruction without paying a fortune. I and several of my siblings are currently going that route, taking courses ranging from Intermediate Algebra to Calculus III. Dad is easily capable of teaching that level of math, but he simply doesn't have time to teach all of us, study for his own courses (doctorate level), and help run the business.

mommainky
User

parents in algebra

Postby mommainky » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:28 am

May I ask what math cirra you are using??? Doing seventh grade integers at present.
Thanks for your responses,
K

trainedbyhorses
User

Re: parents in algebra

Postby trainedbyhorses » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:55 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:57 am

I used Saxon up through Alg II. I sort of bogged down partway through Saxon Advanced Math, so I went straight from there to college Calculus textbooks.

LisaMKH
User

Postby LisaMKH » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:17 am

Definitely the student should be learning more. You already went through school. If you always know more than your child, then in my opinion, something is wrong. As we get older, we forget what we learned. We get busy with our adult lives. We should hope for more for our children. Our interests and such may be quite different. We already did the high school thing and should not redo it just to keep up with whatever our child is learning at the moment, and so on.

My 1st child is massively in to physics, computer programming, high level math (which I have no trouble keeping up with so far as I have a degree in it, but if I did not, I would not concern myself with relearning it at all), and electronics---the engineering side. My 2nd child is massively in to languages and ancient history. She is studying sign, Latin, and French. She also seems to know just about everything about the Ancients. I have 2 more younger children after them. It is plenty for me to keep up with my end...researching books for them, knowing enough about grammar and spelling to grade their papers, sifting through teachers guide or whatever to teach them, without my having to learn every single thing of interest to all 4 of my children. I would never even have the time to teach it to my children if I tried to learn it all first. That would be insane.

SO...I do teach my children their math, as until they get out of discrete mathematics I should have no troubles and by then, they will ne in college. Both children want MIT for their college of choice. My dh and I went to U of Chicago but there are no engineering programs at the undergrad level there. BUT...if I wanted, I would just purchase a video program or some other online program for their maths. I do purchase those types of programs for their science. I have no interest in knowing that much about that stuff, or to relearn it. I have enough to do with all I do already.

Katharos
User

Postby Katharos » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:44 pm

I am a first year at UChicago now. :-)

True, it has no engineering program, but their science programs all are excellent, so going there for the theory is not the worst idea. My current plan, actually, is to concentrate in math, and I have been very happy with the department as I know it thus far; the teachers have an infectious love of the subject, and they make me want to work hard. Of course, nothing here is "applied," but I think that's what UChicago is all about. I am very happy doing theoretical math that I never will use outside the classroom, but that's just me.

Oddly, I know a graduate of UChicago - a math major - who now is working on her PhD. at MIT. She's very happy there.

Return to “Math”