Math

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

efxmel
User

Math

Postby efxmel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Relationships are all there is. Everything in the universe only exist b/c it is in relationship to everything else. Nothing exist in isolation. We have to stop pretending we are individuals that can go it alone. - Margaret Wheatley

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm

It depends on what style you want.

Math-U-See is different from Saxon.

For me Saxon is too much for my kids and we use CLE and mathbrain's website.

go to http://www.homeschoolreviews.com and read what people say about them and also see if the publisher has sample pages to view before you buy.
Sharon

Mkat
User

Postby Mkat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:01 pm

My son (9th grader) hated Saxon, and found it to be boring and pretty frustrating and frankly, so did I.

Math U See is has really done amazingly well and for the first time in his life, doesn't hate math. In fact, he does it first most days! There are written instructions and instructions by you from the teacher book, a video where there is more visual and auditory learning, and manipulatives. I think it hits the various ways different kids learn in a better way.

He also really likes having the workbook to do problems in, they are clean and without fuss. Nothing distracting visually going on.

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:05 am

Saxon was very frustrating for my children. Many homeschoolers really love it but we don't.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Saxon is very repetitive, which is fine up through Algebra II or so, but perhaps not beyond that in my opinion.

dkocur
User

Postby dkocur » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”