Are teachers editions really necessary?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Isikole
User

Are teachers editions really necessary?

Postby Isikole » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:45 pm

I'm in the process of buying all the books that I'll need for the coming school year, and I'm really wondering whether it's necessary to buy the teachers editions?? I'm looking primarily at secular textbooks, and the TE are sometimes as much as twice the price! Do they really offer anything that would make the extra expense worth it??

I'd really appreciate anyone's opinions......

Theodore

Yes, in some cases.

Postby Theodore » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:58 pm

They give answers to all problems, not just odd-numbered problems, and give much more detailed explanations. Generally well worth the extra cost, if you don't already know the topic you're trying to teach.
Last edited by Theodore on Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeganWiles
User

Postby MeganWiles » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:39 pm

Also they provide questions for discussion and vocabulary, which you can pull out and create on your own by reading the text, but it certainly is easier to use the TM. I guess it depends on the cost.

cccmkr
User

Postby cccmkr » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:25 pm

IMO ... It depend on your child.

I never used one until my daughter starting having problems in math in 3rd grade. She doesn't think the way I teach. I was able to offer her a different approach through the games and repeation activities in the teachers edition. Not to meantion... I also realized even in elementary math they have changed things since I was in school....NO ONE ever taught me front end estimation when I was in 3rd grade! Either way... I still don't use them except for in math and my daughter is starting 5th and we are doing SOS - so that won't be an issue this year either.

Good Luck!
I love my job --> Devoted wife, proud mommy of 3 AMAZING daughters, and Christian by Faith alone!!!!

Isikole
User

Postby Isikole » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:56 am

My daughter is going to be doing 9th grade next year, and I thought that the TE might make it easier for me to teach, or at least give me some ideas on the subject matter. I would hate to spend all that money only to find that I don't really need them......

su
User

Postby su » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:43 pm

su
User

Postby su » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:46 pm

Isikole
User

Postby Isikole » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:26 pm

In my endeavours to find the perfect curriculum, I've discovered that a lot of textbooks & corresponding workbooks now have the answer keys in the teachers editions. That makes them somewhat necessary, however it does save some expense, as you don't have to buy the many answer keys that are available.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”