Familiar with "The Great Courses"?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

su
User

Familiar with "The Great Courses"?

Postby su » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:21 pm

Isikole
User

Postby Isikole » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:20 pm

I've used a lot of their courses, from Psychology to Sociology. They are very good, however, I would say that they are for the more advanced student. They do have some courses that are aimed at high schoolers, and I'm sure they would be suitable. All in all they offer a very good product!

kkg
User

World History

Postby kkg » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:28 am

LisaMKH
User

Postby LisaMKH » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:37 pm

I think history can be very interesting even if it is not your major.

I have a friend who uses Teaching Company's dvds. Her dh likes them, but I have no clue if they put a slant to things. But I so completely understand what you mean. So many textbooks either change the realities of history with politically correct garble or every other sentence starts with "because God says so." So far, despite not being very religious myself, I have found BJU and Christian Liberty Press books to be the closest to what I want. We also watch a fair number of documentaries on TV. I am guessing that since they are made generally by scientists and such and not by a textbook company where every bit of content is being voted on by a bunch of old men in a government building, that they are pretty good.

BUT...I did want to add that I have found a fair number of the Teaching Company's courses through the local library. I have requested some via interlibrary loan. So you might wish to check there.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”