catching up in math.

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

MommaT
User

catching up in math.

Postby MommaT » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Both my 14 yr old and 11 yr. old daughters are a bit behind in math skills. They learn math easily enough, we've just had a jarring life lately and math was placed on a backburner for awhile. I was wondering if MathUSee would be a good curriculum to help them catch up and fill in some math blanks that were from hodge-podge math assignments :roll: Does anyone have any experience that could help me? Thanks
MommaT

Mkat
User

Postby Mkat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:12 pm

My son was very behind from being in public school and after trying a few things, Math U See turned out to be exactly right for catching him up in math. It's thorough, can be done more or less quickly based on your child's abilities and needs (for example, instead of one lesson a day, right now he's doing three while he is able and succeeding). I like the clear format, the manipulative are good if your kid likes them, and I really like that there's more help if we need it.

Good luck!

Leanne
User

Math curriculum

Postby Leanne » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:13 pm

I homeschool my "only", a 14 year old boy (okay, teenager, I just can't get used to saying that). After trying several math programs that were okay but just didn't get him from; "I sorta get it", to "I get it!" I thankfully came across Mastering Essential Math Skills by Richard Fisher. Practical Homeschooling Magazine had written a positive review on it so I checked it out and I am SO glad I did. We both love it! Mr. Fisher makes math from 4th grade to 12th, more understandable than any of the others we've tried. He has books w/DVDs and some review books for fractions, geometry, etc. It was his Pre-Algebra w/DVD that we used and my son scored in the 97th percentile on the CAT!

Mr. Fisher who calls himself "America's Math Teacher", now has an on-line math program, www.americasmathteacher.com and we are SOOO excited. Even my son is excited about doing math with Mr. Fisher again. He has a very friendly and easy-going manner.

That's my recommendation for an excellent math program for grades 4 to 12. :D

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:28 pm

I switch to math u see at the high school level and my son loves it. I was really glad I found the program. It may not be for everyone but I would highly recommend at least giving it a try.

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:40 am

My friend adopted a 12 year old girl who had been shuffled from foster home to foster home and was behind in every subject. She used ACE curriculum (aka PACES) to "catch her up" in math. www.schooloftomorrow.com She finished high school last year. 8) I've never used them, but was just throwing out another idea.
Jill

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”