What do you all do for spelling? I need 3rd grade.

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

maherwoman
User

Postby maherwoman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:08 pm

Ours is pretty simple...

I searched for spelling lists online, and found this site:
http://www.ecarter.k12.mo.us/dept/elementary/

We're using a fourth grade spelling list (because my daughter's in the fourth grade), but they also list other grades' teachers and what their spelling lists are.

Here are one of the teacher's third grade spelling lists for the year, and she even lists out the stories that they go along with (I don't know if you can find them online somewhere, or if the stories come from a book, but I found that helpful to at least give me a list of words). I've found this particular school's site to be a wealth of information for a few other sites, too (such as science, math, etc.)...so browse around and see what you find! :)

As far as a lesson plan (and this is what she did last year, too), I have my DD write out the list of words (which I write on the board for her to copy down). We then go through each one. She tells me what form of word it is (noun, verb, etc.), and we write down the definition(s) she wants to use for that word (since most words have more than one definition, we go through them all and she chooses).

She then takes it day by day, and writes down each word five times and a sentence for each. Right now, she's got 20 words a week, so she does four words each day M-Th, and then has a Spelling Test on Friday.

I also found a great site you can create a Word Search puzzle on:
http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.c ... upForm.asp

You can make other fun stuff on there, too...another great site to browse.

Hope all that helps! :)
Rosie*

Sheryl
User

Postby Sheryl » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:57 pm

Here's really fun spelling games I ordered from Amazon. Both are top rated among all their toys and games category:

Scrabble Slam Cards (8 years and up)
Bananagrams (7 years and up)

You'll have fun playing with them to!

Also, they are good travel games due to their compactness.
________
E23
Last edited by Sheryl on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karengstafford
User

Postby karengstafford » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:06 pm

lisakinter
User

Postby lisakinter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

We use word lists generated from our lessons and an old Zaner Blose Workbook that I got for $.25 for general vocabulary and spelling.

We use the one for a grade above. I use [url]SpellingCity.com[/url] (also free) and have posted all the words on there. The tests are automated and we use their activities only for the words that we didn't get right the first time.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”