General Questions

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Tanny13
User

General Questions

Postby Tanny13 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Sorry for the typos.. I am at work right now and trying to send a quick message.. :) I am exploring the world of homeschooling. I have a few questions about Public school. For now I have signed up for Virtual Public School. I know most of the people in here shy away from "public school". I probably will eventually transition to full blown home school.. I am just too nervous about doing it on our own. And the other reason.. I am fed up with the local public school.. I want to use open enrollment to totally cut them off funding from my child. I think Homeschooling will cut off SOME funding but not as much if I use open enrollment.

I have a few legal questions... I am not sure which category to post these questions in the forum.. I will post them under getting started.. because I am getting started.

1. Our daughter is in Kindergarten. We weren't aware she was receiving Title 1 help until we received a paper requesting a signature to receive government funding. Which was a few weeks after they started to work with her.. I talked to various private schools about this and they say they need parental permission to place a child in title 1. Is this true? We were totally unaware. Did the public school break any laws?

2. Our daughter fractured her arm on the playground. Since the economy went sour, our health insurance got switched to a high deductible plan. We have $1,500 in medical bills. The school administration tells us our daughter slipped on the ice.. About a half dozen classmates are telling an entirely different story. Our daughter fell climbing on the monkey bars and she fell on top of another child (who wasn't hurt). This was winter, the bars were wet, kids are wearing boots, monkey bars are very slippery in these types of conditions. Basically the School Administration are making our daughter and her classmates out to be liars. These are 5 and 6 year old kids, what benefit would these young kids see in lying? The teacher took noticed she was "babying" her arm. She took our daughter to the school nurse. School nurse said she would be fine. So we did not receive any note when she came home. No incident report was filed at the school. Our daughter came home ate supper and went to bed very early (5 PM to 5:30 PM) We weren't aware she had a broken arm until the next day.. We had to call the school to find out what happened. Would the school be liable for my medical bills? It sounds like a situation where the students lacked supervision. But I think its lame they make the kids out to be liars, and turn around and penalize kids for lying.

3. When we learned our daughter was in Title 1 because she had problems with reading, writing, and math.. Supposedly the 2nd to the last in her class. We had a 2nd opinion from an outside source. That achievement test showed she is close to meeting 2nd grade benchmarks.
My guess is the school is trying to put a label on our daughter to receive more government funding. Which in my opinion might be possible fraud. Where do I go to report this?

4. If I pursue any of the above matters, would I have to worry about retaliation from the school? Taking things out on our daughter?

I think Kindergarten is not a requirement in my state.. If our daughter is meeting at least 1st grade benchmarks.... Should I pull her out now?

elliemaejune
User

Re: General Questions

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:55 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Tanny13
User

Re: General Questions

Postby Tanny13 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:42 am