Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microscopes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knobren
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Microscopes Reply with quote

I'm curious about
a) How many of you have purchased microscopes for your kids

b) What brand/style was it?

c) Does it have a zoom lens or distinct objective lenses?

d) What range of magnification does it have (including the magnification of the eyepiece)?

e) Was this range of magnification adequate for your purposes?

f) What kind of illumination does it have - mirror or powered light source?

g) What is your opinion of the scope you purchased? (Did it hold up well? Was it easy to use? Would you recommend it to others?)

Thanks,

knobren Smile
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we have. http://www.magiscope.com/

I love it. It is practically indestructible and has no moving parts. When we need to we can expand the optics and it also has add ons that make it so we can take it outside on nature walks.

AM
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad had a high magnification (100x-300x, lighted) microscope that we got to use a little, and we had a cheapo low magnification one (mirrors) that we usually used. We also had a 50x? microscope attached to a screen, which was my personal favorite - no bending over and staring into eyepieces.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: microscopes Reply with quote

knobren wrote:
I'm curious about
a) How many of you have purchased microscopes for your kids

I have not.

DH and I both happen to belong to the category of people who could never, ever see anything through microscopes when we were in school. I first looked through one in 6th grade, and from then for the next 15 years of our educations we were unable to get any views of anything that looked even remotely like the photos in the textbooks or what our classmates were drawing or what our instructors were describing. We both wear glasses and tried many, many times both with and without our glasses on. Other people who loved microscopes and had no trouble using them worked with us on focusing and adjusting. Try as we might, it just didn't work for us. I know we're not alone. I've read humorous pieces by more than one person on this problem.

So I figured the chances were high that our kids might be as microscope-challenged as we, whether due to nature or nurture, and that even if they could see through them we would not be much help in using them.

I decided to save our money and not pay so much for something that might sit around and gather dust in our house.

Our 3 oldest kids have used microscopes at co-op science labs they enrolled in. (I don't know what kinds.) DD2 says she had no problem seeing through them.

Ramona
4given
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) Yes
b) It is an LED Cordless from Home Science Tools
c) Distinct objective lenses
d) magnification range: 40 to 400x
e) Yes, for now. High School will be a different story.
f) powered light source
g) My opinion is favorable. It is sturdy and easy to use. I have and will recommend it to others.
keptwoman
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at buying one at the moment, the DS I'm homeschooling is only 7 so it's not urgent, but my 13yo is talking about coming home. Plus I would just like the extra depth it adds to our basic studies of nature currently.

I would love some recommendations.
Sheepdog
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For use with kids up to 12 or so, I would recommend that you consider some of the devices out there that are essentially web-cams with optics modified for looking at things really, really close.

For one thing, you and child can both see what the "micro-cam" (or whatever you call it) sees, and discuss same.

When you need more magnification than these things provide, you begin to get into realms where more difficult techniques have to be mastered to get anything like useful results.

===
Alternative answer:

A decent stero microscope is a WONDERFUL "toy". The magnification is "limited"... but the experiences to be had looking through them are wonderful.

I bought a good one at eBay... About $175.... e.g.

Tom
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, something you could hook up to your computer would be perfect. It's VERY annoying trying to look through the eyepiece of a microscope while wearing glasses.
Sheepdog
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a microscope....

You can probably more or less get away with just putting a webcam over the eyepiece.
For ideas and help, do a google search on....
microscope webcam

If you want a better result, do a Goolge search on..
cheap digital microscope

Tom
Explorental
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Microscopes Reply with quote

a) How many of you have purchased microscopes for your kids?
Our children are not yet old enough to use a microscope, but we personally have a Celestron microscope that we enjoy. It has a 3.5” screen in place of the eye piece, can record images and video, and has a TV output.

b) What brand/style was it?
Celestron LCD Digital Microscope II #44341

c) Does it have a zoom lens or distinct objective lenses?
The objective lenses are 4x, 10x, and 40x..

d) What range of magnification does it have (including the magnification of the eyepiece)?
The camera acts as a 10x eyepiece. Therefore, you get 40x, 100x, and 400x magnification. It also has a 4x digital zoom for magnification up to 1600x.

e) Was this range of magnification adequate for your purposes?
For viewing slides and various other samples the magnification is more than adequate.

f) What kind of illumination does it have - mirror or powered light source?
It has a top and bottom powered light source, but I wish it was a little brighter when using the higher magnifications.

g) What is your opinion of the scope you purchased? (Did it hold up well? Was it easy to use? Would you recommend it to others?)
The microscope is well built with a great mechanical stage. I have always had trouble looking through microscope eyepieces and the screen makes it really easy. Also, being able to save the images is fun and makes it simple to reference them later. I would definitely recommend this microscope to others. It is a good quality microscope at a fair price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: