Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tash
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reading Reply with quote

my almost 4yo would really like to learn to read. She has a great oral vocabulary and can pronounce most things clearly. She would have me read books to her 24 hours a day if I would. But when I can't she "reads" to her stuffed animals, her baby brother, the dog, anyone.

We have some cards I made with simple words like "table", "chair", "bike", "cup", etc that I helped her with and then she got to tape them to the object in the house. She seems to have trouble sounding things out and then recognizing that as a word. like duh-or isn't the same as a door to her. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if she needs a different system.

can anyone recommend something that might work for her?
4given
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first two sons had great success with ABeka Phonics.
tash
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you explain more about what you and your sons liked about it? I read somewhere else that it can be tedious and boring. I have add and boring just doesn't work. I also suspect that my daughter might have it too and I don't want her to think that all reading is boring, she enjoys it now and I would like her to keep enjoying reading.
4given
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't agree that it is tedious and boring. The preparation on my part became tedious at times (and is my number one complaint and reason I stopped using it). Lots of drawing and cutting out, etc. But, for the student, I think it was very beneficial. My lads seemed to really enjoy it, largely due to the games that were incorporated. Also, there is a lot of color on flashcards and workpages. When I was teaching my 5yo, my 3yo "accidentally" learned to read just being there. HTH Smile
Jill
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you are doing is great. If you want more "booky" stuff, we used BOB books as did my sister with her daughter.
One thing that I think was important when kids who really want to learn to read is stopping (the lesson) before they want to. Does that make sense?
All our kids always wanted to do more, and that's tempting to do because they are "on a roll." We always stopped a little short so next time, they weren't burnt out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: