Best Math curriculum?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

Samual Rutherford
User

Best Math curriculum?

Postby Samual Rutherford » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:07 am

Dear One & All,

If money were no object what math curriculum would you use for your children?

Computer software based?

Computer based with an associated book?

What computer based math program would you use?

What book based curriculum would you use?

Thank you,

Samual

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:53 pm

I really like Miquon, we use the cuisinaire rods and they really help the child realize on their own math and the concepts. It moves quicly so some students may need some extra worksheet work. I like the way it is visual and hands on. I don't think I would like a computer based program. I want them to use their hands, to write the numbers and to manipulate the numbers.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Terri in WA
User

Postby Terri in WA » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:30 pm

I am looking at RightStart and Math-U-See.

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:58 pm

sparkie12
User

Math

Postby sparkie12 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:47 am

If money were no object, I think I would purchase many games and manipulatives from www.lakeshorelearning.com. I'd buy the cash register and the cuisenaire rods and workbooks and bug counters and the patterning cards. Games, games, and more games!! I want math to be fun and hands on. I am not crazy about a whole lot of workbook work. But, then again, I have 2 very active little boys.

Blessings, Robin
Blessed are they that hear the Word of GOD and keep it. Luke 11:28

Bob Hazen

Postby Bob Hazen » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:00 am

Here's my two cents on this issue, starting with an question that wasn't addressed:
0. How would you supplement whatever math curriculum you use?
I so strongly believe in using math games (commercial games yes, but also "homemade" games involving dice and playing cards) that I wrote a book based on my experience, entitled "Math Games to Supplement Any Math Curriculum." Both my sons grew up with math games being a central part of their math curriculum, and they both have strong ability to grasp concepts quickly, plus they've know their basic facts from the beginning, plus they each have great mental math skills and great spatial sense (seeing and visualizing how objects move, reflect, and rotate in space) - precisely BECAUSE of the many different math games they played growing up. Check my website at www.AlgebraForKids.com and click on the "Math Products" and/or the "Books" link on the left.

1. If money were no object what math curriculum would you use for your children?
I would again use what we used for our two sons up through 4th-5th grade: Mortensen Math - but with a caveat. It helps enormously if the parent is a math-type already. Math-U-See fans should know that the author of Math-U-See was once a Mortensen trainer who started MUS to combine the best of Mortensen Math with what he thought was the best of Saxon as well. But I still prefer Mortensen for the second reason listed below (kids do algebra from the very beginning).
The upside of Mortensen:
-versatile multi-purpose manipulatives that are used for EVERYTHING (arithmetic, base ten, fractions, negative number operations, skip counting, basic facts, algebra);
-exposing kids from the very beginning (in 1st grade) to ALL the main areas of math (including algebra);
-seeing how base ten connects with algebra;
-the program is labor-intensive and needs for the first while pretty heavy involvement on the part of the parent.
The downside of Mortensen:
-it's not user friendly, especially if the teaching parent is not a math type to begin with;
-the program is labor-intensive and for the first while of each lesson, each topic, each year needs pretty heavy involvement on the part of the parent.

2. Computer software based?
I wouldn't use computer-software-based math curriculum in K-8, for a philosophical reason: I think kids get enough time on computer already, and I also think there's something neurologically-psychologically-mentally beneficial about working with hands-on manipulatives and reading out of hardcopy books, rather than moving icons around on a screen and reading from a screen.

3. Computer based with an associated book?
This would depend on what the computer component is - is it instruction? or reading? or activities? Again, I'd lean away from computer-based curriculum.

4. What computer based math program would you use?
See my above remarks.

5. What book based curriculum would you use?
Assuming this is a book-alone curriculum with no manipulatives, I wouldn't do any book-alone-based curriculum for K-8 math. Kids really benefit from hands-on work, including games.

Hope this helps!
Bob Hazen

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:31 pm

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

Return to “Math”