Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone teach me about pH in the soil science?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggzz
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Can someone teach me about pH in the soil science? Reply with quote

The biggest problem I have understanding the reasons for a particular pH of a soil, is finding an article that communicates the basics well.

I find that w/out the basic knowledge of a subject, it is difficult to makes sense of all related data.

Any ideas or connections would be appreciated. I am off for the winter now and need to occupy my time productively. Smile
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of this is simple enough to understand:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_pH
Buggzz
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of ANC came up in the first few lines, and described as a 'buffering agent. Key on the highlight and the additional info of ANC comes up. This is what I can't begin to figure out just what is the point the author is trying to make. :

"...Decomposition of organic material releases carbon dioxide and thus increases the amount of dissolved carbon dioxide. An increase in carbon dioxide decreases pH but has no effect on ANC. Organic acids, often expressed as dissolved organic carbon (DOC), also decrease pH and have no effect on ANC. Soil water in the upper layers usually have higher organic content than the lower soil layers. Surface waters with high DOC are typically found in areas where there is a lot of peat and bogs in the catchment. "

From there they talk about number 3 'the aluminum factor' and say that's a bit trickier.
So I guess the author assumes I understand something that makes sense of his explanation. What am I missing? Thanks.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANC was the part that confused me too. How can you make something more acidic and not affect its ability to resist changes in acidity? We need a chemist in here.
Buggzz
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for trying. I will just keep reading various aspects of it, until the eureka moment strikes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: