Tutoring high school levels of math

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

Suzanne
User

Tutoring high school levels of math

Postby Suzanne » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:21 pm

Recently, through no advertising, I have acquired 2 unrelated tutoring jobs--both students have had Algebra 1 this year but just didn't master all of concepts. Each student's parents have hired me to bring them up to speed by helping with their gaps so that they can be ready for Algebra 2 in the fall.

My question...what is the going rate for an hour of tutoring--one on one for Algebra 1 and higher levels of math? I have a B.S. in Secondary Math Education so this is actually fun supplemental money while I homeschool my own kiddos! But...I'd like to get paid the going rate.

Many thanks for any help you can offer!--Blessings, Suzanne

Theodore

Re: Tutoring high school levels of math

Postby Theodore » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:04 pm

Algebra is relatively easy to teach, and the going rate for that seems to be around $25 per hour. Depending on how much driving to and from the tutoring you have to do, you might charge fuel costs + driving time as well. More advanced math such as Calculus would probably be closer to $50 for an hour session, especially if you have experience teaching it (but that includes driving fees).

Katharos
User

Postby Katharos » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:31 pm

I just graduated from homeschool and will be attending the University of Chicago. Recently, I offered my tutoring services in mathematics and writing/grammar and have received many inquiries and hence, I now have four students. I charge $15.00/hour, and this is a very reasonable rate to charge. Of course, "real" tutors charge upward, as high as $150/hour, I have heard (which is ridiculous). It is best if you find a college students who know the subject, as they tend to be both smart and in desparate need of money.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:45 pm

Do they come to you or do you go to them? With gasoline $3 per gallon some places, you don't actually end up with much of an hourly fee if you aren't getting paid for driving time as well. Of course, it's good training if you are practicing to be a teacher, in which case you could break even and still find it worthwhile.

Return to “Math”