Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phonics/Reading Disaster...HELP!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkapfe
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Phonics/Reading Disaster...HELP!!! Reply with quote

Quick circumstances...My daughter went to private school for kindergarten and the first half of first grade. Her teacher in K said that she was an excellent reader. She caught on really quick. In 1st, her teacher said that she started doing a lot of guessing instead of sounding out her words. Since she has been home for the second half of 1st grade and this year in 2nd grade (we started 2 1/2 weeks ago), her phonics and reading have been a disaster. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. I don't want her to have to go back to repeating everything she did in K as I think that would be a complete blow to her self esteem since her sister who is now in K is doing great. However, we can't keep at it like we are with temper tantrums EVERYDAY when it comes to reading. Her getting frustrated and giving up only makes me frustrated, which in turn makes her even more frustrated. As you can see, this is definitely nuts. Please help!!

What is something that we can use that will help us quickly recap what she's already learned without starting all over with curriculum 2 grade levels behind???
Lily
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try starfall.com for her, and why not ask her to help teach her sister? When we teach, we reinforce what we know and understand it better.
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfall is a good site. You could also just spend sometime having her read out loud to you. There are also tons of software like Clifford's reading that might help her catch up.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spalding. It teaches dc to read by teaching them to spell, so you'd be killing two birds with one stone without seeming to be backing up.

www.spalding.org
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
roma
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote

I work with children who are haveing trouble like your daughter is having.

Here is an article that will help, and you will be able to follow a link at the end for more help.

http://www.ezinearticles.com/?id=1983272
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did she learn sight reading in school? How about using a phonics-based reading curriculum like Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (this is what we used), Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, Phonics Museum, Sing, Spell, Read & Write, Writing Road to Reading, etc? Perhaps using a different phonics program than what you're using for your younger daughter would be good--then the older one won't feel so much that she's doing kindergarten work.
Buggzz
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardening momma wrote:
Did she learn sight reading in school? How about using a phonics-based reading curriculum like Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (this is what we used), Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, Phonics Museum, Sing, Spell, Read & Write, Writing Road to Reading, etc? Perhaps using a different phonics program than what you're using for your younger daughter would be good--then the older one won't feel so much that she's doing kindergarten work.

That is a point I was going to make. One of my kids was struggling with reading in the early years. I spent time teaching him reading, but because he was learning whole language at the gov't school, sounding out words became confusing.
Another aspect of that is, his ability to hear clearly and ennunciate properly, to have the words be sounded out correctly.
It wasn't until we took him out of school that he got better.
Jill
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another good program that teaches them to read by teaching them to spell.

https://marierippel.infusionsoft.com/go/home/hbdspell/

Best wishes!
readinghelper1831
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to view going back and review and reinforcement rather than setting your child back two years. If your child was taught in a way other than phonemic awareness skills followed by phonics instruction it is possible that he or she is really confused right now. Starting with a workbook and little readers to practice decoding, but allow the child to write creatively and draw pictures will be fun review, if not instruction for your child. Followed up by an application chapter book and skill book, she should be on track again and reading independently above grade level. Try the following Web site to checkout their skill books (they are called reading secrets levels E and F). The following link will take you there. Good luck!

http://magicpennyreading.org/a/Materials/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: