Can I really do this??

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

christal
User

Can I really do this??

Postby christal » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Okay, PS is not an option for us! We thought about a christian school but I feel that HS is what God wants us to do. So...I stay at home with my kids -4, 2, and 1. I really want to do this but I just can't seem to wrap my mind around how I'm going to give my kids a good education with so much chaos going on around here all the time! I'm completely overwhelmed! I was HSed by my grandmother but we didn't start until the beginning of 5th grade. Just the thought of teaching these three wild kids anything of value is totally beyond my comprehension right now! I know this can be done! I mean I think this can be done! This can be done, right?!?

4given
User

Postby 4given » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:32 am

I DO believe you can do it!

When I first started, I only had two boys ages 4 and 2. That has been nine years ago AND we've added two more sons to the mix. Somehow we manage to make it through our day while almost always completing all assignments.

If I knew then what I know now... I would not have expected my 4yo son to sit for the entire time it took him to complete ABeka K4 (then K5 and 1st grades). He is a wiggly boy. It was too much, too soon. But I thought that because it was geared toward 4yo's, then BY GOLLY, he must NEED to do it. My second-born son had no problems sitting for hours, soaking in information. It is how he's wired, I guess. For my third-born, I alter things abit and include games that get him moving while he's learning... he's wiggly just like my oldest. My youngest hasn't begun any formal studies (he's 3).

I guess I'm trying to get this across... Do what works for you AND your children. I would recommend keeping it short, fun and intertwined with play at their ages.

Go for it! You can do it!

kgianforti
User

Postby kgianforti » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:05 am

If the Lord is putting HSing on your heart, then you can do it because you have HIM!! The Lord put HSing on my heart before I even THOUGHT about getting married and now I have one in PreK aged dd and we are doing very well with it.

One thing you will want to start with is checking your state's regulations in regards to HSing....some states are easy and some are strict (mine).

My best advice: pray, pray, pray!! For direction, wisdom, everything!!!

christal
User

Postby christal » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:39 am

God really is putting HSing on my heart and has been since I first got pregnant 5 years ago! I know this is His will for my family so I know He will honor it. I guess it was just a nice thought for so many years and now that the time is getting close, it's getting scary! We plan to start next September but there's so many things to do first! We're hoping to pay off our car (March) so we can buy our house from my parents (Summer) and then try to get the basement finished because I'd like to have an actual 'school room'. The thought of getting all this done while living off my husband's small income is making me want to pull my hair out! Ahhhh! And then my husband is like "don't worry so much. God will work it out. He's taken care of us up til now. You're forgetting to cast all your cares!" Thank God for a husband that does his best to keep me grounded! And thank you for the posts. There are only a couple families in my area that homeschool so I'm glad God led me to this website. There's so much support here..I love it!

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:43 am

Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

Return to “Getting Started”