New To This AND Homeschool. HELP!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

britty320
User

New To This AND Homeschool. HELP!

Postby britty320 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:33 pm

Hello,

I'm a Jr. at the public high school and it just does not work for me at all. I'm very independent and I usually end up taking all my books and spending the rest of my classes in the library studying on my own. I decided there was not point to sitting IN my school, when I could just do the same thing, on my own at the public library, surround myself with books and online courses to just do it on my own.

I've discussed it with my mom and she sees where I'm coming from. I'm a lot more intelligent that students in my class. I just feel very strained sitting in a classroom. Too noisy, too much distraction, and no learning At ALL!!! So we've considered independent study.

I would love some feedback on if this is a sound choice.

Also, information about how this affects graduating with the ability to enter college. Please, all help is appreciated.

Brittany

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:13 am

If you can study better at home, there's no reason not to study at home. Homeschooling is fairly mainstream at this point, so colleges are not likely to reject you because you homeschooled, esp. if you take a bunch of standardized tests and score well. I highly recommend as much CLEP and AP as you can stomach, this will both save you the hassle of having to portfolio / grade everything you study, and make it easier for colleges to compare you against everyone else. Plus you can often get college credit.

Return to “Getting Started”