Home School with Cerebral Palsy (Spastic Diplegia)?

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ShanaSmith
User

Home School with Cerebral Palsy (Spastic Diplegia)?

Postby ShanaSmith » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:53 pm

HI, I am new to this board and am looking for information on teaching my child how to write. (handwriting) he is six years old, diagnosed with spastic diaplegia. We were not in the "system" in regards to early intervention, government assistance, etc. It was our determination that he is our son to love/teach/ take care of, and he is very well adjusted, socially and emotionally and is very brite. I do not want to send him into the public school system..I am not a fan of the philosophies found in todays school system.

My challenge is how to physically teach him to write. I have not been able to find an online source anywhere! HELP! Has anyone else chosen this route with their CP child?

Thanks!

Theodore

Re: Home School with Cerebral Palsy (Spastic Diplegia)?

Postby Theodore » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:27 pm

This thread seems to have some useful ideas. A summary goes as follows:

- Forget cursive.

- Printing is possible, but will take a lot of practice. Get him some softer lead pencils, which will be easier to write with.

- Typing is best. Get software that can guess the endings of words, so as to cut down on keystrokes. This is the computer age anyway, nobody will think it odd if he uses an aid.

And if all else fails, he can always deliver his reports in oral form, either personally or as a recording.

leebryan
User

teaching writing

Postby leebryan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:08 pm

ShanaSmith
User

handwriting

Postby ShanaSmith » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:14 pm

Thanks for the ideas...We are enrolling in our church school which begins August 24th. I will be my sons teacher and full time assistant. I know he is capable of learning....but am somewhat skeptical of my own abilities with him. (I do have teaching experience...homeschooled our first 4 kiddlies)

I guess I will just have to get used to going back to school everyday myself!

Thanks again.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”