Saxon Math

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

teacup
User

Postby teacup » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:57 pm

I realize this post is well past the original question date, however it caught my eye and I just felt the need to share my thoughts on SAXON MATH.

First, let me say that math was never one of my better subjects. When I began homeschooling, it was the one subject that I did not feel confident about teaching. After looking at Horizon Math, Math-U-See, and A Beka, I determined that Saxon would provide me with the tools that I needed to teach my son.

Since we had never used another program, the lack of colorful pages was not an issue. Did we do every single thing in each lesson? No. We did the lessons until my son grasped the concept, then moved on to the next lesson.
Their incremental approach and the use of manipulatives taught my son not only the "hows", but "whys" of math.

From first grade to third, we never spent more than three hours a day on ALL of our subjects! Math normally took about 45 minutes. Every day we did the timed test (it kind of became a beat the clock thing with my son).

We continued with Saxon, skipping 87, and stopping at Advanced Math, which my son completed in 10th grade. For 11th grade he took Pre-Calculus at our community college. His entry test score in Math for college was 97%. Many students who graduate from public school are required to take remedial math courses right away.

The main reason I wanted to write this post and give support to those considering Saxon Math, is because of the success we found with the program. From a mom who still does her muliplication of 9's with the finger trick, came a son who considered majoring in Mathematics. I know it won't work for every child, but it is an excellent program

Sorry if I have spelling errors, but for some reason my font is very tiny!
Married 20 yrs, 2 boys, homeschooled 12 years, Director of a Christian Home School Umbrella since 2001, living with MS

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:28 pm

Somewhat off-topic - you can probably make your text bigger by going into the View menu of your browser. On the Mac I just hit Command+ or Command-

ardeur
User

Postby ardeur » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”