Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.schroeder
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: need help please Reply with quote

My 9th grader is being tormented and bullied at school. I think my only option is to homeschool, but dont know where to start or who to contact, or how much the cost is to do this. I heard about Penn Foster, can you give me advice please???? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
s.schroeder
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Illinois
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link for what HSLDA has posted http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Illinois.pdf

I am not in Illinois but it looks like you just pull them and start schooling. As for curriculum there are lots of different options. Would you want secular or religious? You can get curriculum from a variety of sites including craigslist and ebay. vegsource.com is also another site for used curriculum.

As for subjects it is pretty much the same as in the ps but you can design them however you want.
s.schroeder
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you that was very helpful info!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry for your dc. Sad No one should have to put up with that kind of behavior.

You don't need to enroll your dc in a distance-learning school like Penn Foster. We have *oodles* of choices for instructional materials and methods and everything.

Yes, we would need to know whether you would like faith-based materials or not so we can make the best recommendations.

For the practical issues, IL is a great state to homeschool. you don't have to report to anyone or get anyone's permission. What you will want to do is have a plan, and when you're ready, withdraw your dc from school. The law does not require this, but if you don't officially withdraw him, he'll be suspected of being truant, and that will be a bad thing. My strong recommendation is also to join Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). Even though hsing is legal, there have been significant issues with school officials in some districts causing grief for hsers, and you just don't want to deal with that.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
s.schroeder
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: