College admission

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Lkat83
User

College admission

Postby Lkat83 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:41 pm

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:42 am

Most will probably look at her high school transcript too. I know the colleges around here do not ask for the high school transcript only if the person has a degree (associates or bachelors).

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:04 am

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:30 am

It depends. In California, a high school diploma is not required to either enroll in or graduate from a state college or university; if a student has transferred from a community college, the high school transcript isn't considered.

It may be different in Colorado. However, you'll be preparing a high school transcript and graduating your dd, anyway, yes? So you'll be prepared, whatever the case.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Lkat83
User

Postby Lkat83 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Yes, I'll be issuing my dd a high school diploma, but I was hoping to avoid having to make up a transcript that the college will need to look at. There's no way I can teach her chemistry and some of the other classes and I'm pretty sure colleges would like to see on a high school transcript.
:(

How closely do you think they'll look at a high school transcript, then, if she's successfully completed a full year of college credits?

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:41 pm

Lkat83,

Is your DD taking her sciences and the other classes you cannot teach at the community college? If not, then that is what you would want her to take there. You can use those classes at the community college as part of the high school transcript you prepare. The community college transcript and the one you prepare should be both included in her college applications.

It's been a few years, but when we went through the application process for undergraduate schools with our DS, the transcript was closely reviewed. During the interview, there were a few questions regarding his classes. And he actually had a G.E.D., but the high school transcript was still required.

Lkat83
User

Postby Lkat83 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:52 pm

Minniewannabe, yes, she will be taking those classes at the community college. I guess that's all I need to worry about - making sure what she takes qualifies for both high school and college credit. And making sure they're courses that are guaranteed to transfer. This is more complicated than I thought, for some reason. :( :oops:

The hoops that schools make you jump through are nuts - why, if your son had his GED, did they want to see a high school transcript? Shouldn't the GED have stood alone? :roll:

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:08 pm

The GED proves high school graduation - but at a rather mediocre, baseline level. If you can show through coursework that you're worth more than just the baseline, this raises your potential value to the college.

At least that's the way the colleges are probably looking at it.

HSCollegeGuide
User

Postby HSCollegeGuide » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:33 pm

It will depend on what university your daughter is trying to eventually attend. Some colleges will not require a high school transcript if a student has over 25-30 hours of college already completed. If this is the case, then she would be considered a "transfer" student and not a "first-time-freshman." These two distinctions can make a huge difference in the way of financial aid and scholarships, so it's a good idea to research the particular school's policies before deciding what you'll do.

JoshCHS
User

Postby JoshCHS » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:21 pm

HSLDA rates both of those colleges in the Tier 1:

"Tier I
Admission policies similar to National Center for Home Education’s Recommended College Admission Policies:

These colleges typically required a parent’s transcript, general standardized achievement testing, and/or the review of a portfolio of the potential student’s materials in place of an accredited diploma."

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000002/0 ... iginal.asp

Typically colleges will give standardized achievement testing to be sure what you have on the parent transcript is legit.
Josh
www.christianhomeschoolstore.com
Christian curriculum -- discounted prices

Return to “High School / College Prep”