Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st grade curric quest....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: 1st grade curric quest.... Reply with quote

My ds, age 6, will soon be in gr 1 & I need some advice. Here is what we've chosen to do. Is this enough, or am I forgetting a subject that he needs. Please advise, I want to make sure I have all of our basics covered. Thanks.

Science: Apologia - Swimming Creatures of the 5th Day
History/Geog: Story of the World
Language: Learning Language Arts Through Literature & Learning to Spell Through Copywork
Math: Still Undecided
Bible: Still Undecided

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the state you are in. I might suggest doing a seperate handwritting curriculum. Depending on the state you might need to do something for health, art or music but those may not need a full curriculum for.
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in Mississippi. The laws here aren't strict, thankfully, at all, in regards to homeschooling. My son does take private piano lessons. As far as art goes, he's very artistic & draws stuff, on his own, almost on a daily basis. Of course, I keep all of his masterpieces Surprised)

Do we really need a curriculum on health, though? I mean, I teach him everyday living stuff. He's learned about taking showers, keeping his hands clean, etc. I just don't think we need a curriculum on health @ this stage of the game. Am I wrong?

mschickie
User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the state and you usually do not need a bonafide curriculum just a plan (topics you will cover). Everything you have sounds pretty good. I wish I could do piano for dd but she just will not sit for them at the moment. Maybe in a year or so.
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For math check out Singapore Math or Christian Light Publications both use the American measurement system and metric system equally.

I really like Christian Light Publications for Bible
Rod and Staff also is good.

This is the first year we are using Christian Light. in past years, I used the internet and a Bible story book and Scriptures for our Bible time.

There are lots of Free Bible coloring pictures online. My kids used to color pictures while I read from a Bible Story book.

This year, they wanted something more than just a story and picture, so we began a new semester with Christian Light. So far they love the light units.
Lorelei Sieja
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: First Grade Study Reply with quote

You don't list a REading program. In the primary grades, the MOST IMPORTANT subjects are reading and math. If you cover those, and little else, you can feel that you've accomplished the basics. If a child reads well, then he can learn anything in the world. If he can't do basic math, he'll be handicapped once he leaves the nest. <G>

There are two different ideas on what the "three Rs" include. Traditionally, schools have felt that means: reading, writing, and 'rithmetic , of which only one actually begins with an "r".

I'd say, the REAL three r's are: Respectfulness, Resourcefulness, and Responsibility. I think the homeschooled children I've met have had these three r's down great!

One more thing I'd like to mention. It doesn't really matter if you cover "X" in first grade, and "Y" in second grade, and "Z" in third grade. What matters is that you cover X, Y, Z sometimes before your child graduates from high school. When you look at it that way, you give yourself a little more breathing room, and reduce the stress in your life.

Good luck!

Lorelei
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, since first posting here, finally decided on Singapore Math for my ds. I have also purchased a wonderful bible story book w/ 2 accompanying cd w/ the songs that coordinate w/ the bible stories. That will be fun.

Thanks, Lorelie, for mentioning about the reading. That is a good point for others that might read these posts. However, our language arts program, does include reading books. Plus, we read daily anyway. We're, right now, over the summer involved in our library's summer reading program.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

RShaw27
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI!

I have a 1st grader...we use A Beka

Daily we have Math, Writing, Reading and Phonics, spelling & language...we also do Community helpers when we can...This year we also have health and science. Yes we went over board and got the full kits for all three kids...being our 1st year I needed all the help I could get:P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: