need help please

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

s.schroeder
User

need help please

Postby s.schroeder » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:11 am

My 9th grader is being tormented and bullied at school. I think my only option is to homeschool, but dont know where to start or who to contact, or how much the cost is to do this. I heard about Penn Foster, can you give me advice please???? :roll: :roll:

s.schroeder
User

Postby s.schroeder » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:13 am

I am in Illinois

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:43 pm

s.schroeder
User

Postby s.schroeder » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:08 am

thank you that was very helpful info!

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm so sorry for your dc. :-( No one should have to put up with that kind of behavior.

You don't need to enroll your dc in a distance-learning school like Penn Foster. We have *oodles* of choices for instructional materials and methods and everything.

Yes, we would need to know whether you would like faith-based materials or not so we can make the best recommendations.

For the practical issues, IL is a great state to homeschool. you don't have to report to anyone or get anyone's permission. What you will want to do is have a plan, and when you're ready, withdraw your dc from school. The law does not require this, but if you don't officially withdraw him, he'll be suspected of being truant, and that will be a bad thing. My strong recommendation is also to join Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). Even though hsing is legal, there have been significant issues with school officials in some districts causing grief for hsers, and you just don't want to deal with that.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

s.schroeder
User

Postby s.schroeder » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:58 am

Return to “Getting Started”