Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community College - HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaness007
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Community College - HELP Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to this forum and very glad I found it

I have a child who has been homeschooled the last 3 years due to severe issues with the local school. She has just recently "graduated" and wants to attend Community college this fall.

I called the college and they are giving us a hard time due to the fact that we do not have the traditional "standardized test scores". I am a legal homeschool, but my curriculum has been a bit more on the non traditional side, however my daughter has taken her maths, english, science, etc. As far as testing, I have used several sites to compile tests over the last couple of years to make sure she is where she needs to be, but have not given a standarized testing such as Iowa or Cat.

Can anyone give me any guidance on this? I did not realize I was doing wrong and have never been questioned by the state of NC on my practices.

I am at the point I am ready to have my child take a diploma off of one of these websites that sale them, just so she can take some classes at the Community college.

Thank you,
Dawn
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What state are you in?
I am in NC and as far as I know all they need to do is take their college entrance exam to place them in the correct math and English levels. One of my children is getting ready to start the dual enrollment option here and he will have to take that exam before he can enter.
They never once asked me for my standardized tests though. However, I am required by law to test yearly with a standardized test so I guess if they insisted on seeing his scores I would think about giving them to them. Legally though I don't have to show them to anyone.
The Community college is state funded and can't turn your child away as long as there is room in the class he wants and you can pay for it. I would ask to talk to someone else who might no better if it were me. Personally, I would go all the way to the president of the college if need be.
Mkat
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach at the local community college near St. Louis, MO and all we need here is for the student to have the "ability to benefit." No test scores at all except for assessment tests for math and English, but only for placement.

Can you have her take an ACT or SAT? Would that matter?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Community College - HELP Reply with quote

amaness007 wrote:
Hi,

I am new to this forum and very glad I found it

I have a child who has been homeschooled the last 3 years due to severe issues with the local school. She has just recently "graduated" and wants to attend Community college this fall.

I called the college and they are giving us a hard time due to the fact that we do not have the traditional "standardized test scores". I am a legal homeschool, but my curriculum has been a bit more on the non traditional side, however my daughter has taken her maths, english, science, etc. As far as testing, I have used several sites to compile tests over the last couple of years to make sure she is where she needs to be, but have not given a standarized testing such as Iowa or Cat.

Can anyone give me any guidance on this? I did not realize I was doing wrong and have never been questioned by the state of NC on my practices.

I am at the point I am ready to have my child take a diploma off of one of these websites that sale them, just so she can take some classes at the Community college.

Thank you,
Dawn

That you homeschooled legally is irrelevant as far as college entrance. However, if you homeschooled legally, you should have standardized test scores, as that is required in NC. Did you not do that? If not, then you didn't homeschool legally, although as I said, that won't matter to the c.c.

The c.c. is not requesting a high school diploma; they're requesting standardized test scores. You can order standardized tests from a number of suppliers and give them yourself. Bayside School Services is one source. You could start there. You could also consider having your dd take the SAT or ACT, whichever one the c.c. prefers.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget subject tests - CLEP, AP, etc. A few of these sprinkled in for core subjects probably wouldn't hurt. But since they have to be scheduled, that suggestion may not help if you're in a hurry :\
HSCollegeGuide
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Standardized testing Reply with quote

It sounds like whoever you're talking with is trying to give you a hard time. Taking the ACT or SAT should take care of the problem though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: