Accelerated Reading for Homeschoolers

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Accelerated Reading for Homeschoolers

Postby jlk123 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Does anyone know of any accelerated reading programs for homeschoolers? (Including comprehension tests for various books that the children read?)

Thank you

Postby Jazzy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:10 am

What grade level are you looking at? Do you need to teach your child to read or just build comprehension skills?

The A Beka readers for grades 1 and up contain comprehension questions. They also have a Read and Think program for grades 3 and up that is made up of weekly timed comprehension drills.

Postby jlk123 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:14 pm

My daughter is now in public school and loves the AR program there. I just wanted to provide something similar for when we homeschool to keep her interest up in reading.
I have actually found a pretty similar program sponsored by Sylvan (I found it by searching the web after posting this). It is at We have already started her doing it on books that she reads at home and she loves it. She earns points for each test that she takes and can redeem it for prizes on the website. I was very happy to find it.

Using homeschool early learning series and phonics program

Postby judyh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:45 am

We recently got the TimeLife encyclopedia early learning series for my 4 year old and 2 year old. The reading series is very helpful even though its not really an accelerated reading program (i think).The kids are attracted to the bright colors and and beginning to identify words using phonics, which we taught her using the LetterLand and Zoophonics program.
I think a mixture of programs probably yield good results in our case.

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum

Postby HSHS » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:14 am

I don't know if this will be any help but thought I'd post anyway:

It's a reading excellence program K-3 and reading comprehension 3-12. My 9th grader just tested out of the program so I can't tell you how good it is but DD's enjoying the math program from there. (:

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”