Saxon Math

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

redeemed22407
User

Saxon Math

Postby redeemed22407 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:02 pm

I used Saxon Math last year and am using it again this year for my 2nd & 3rd graders. It takes us forever (like almost 2 hours) to complete one lesson. That is if we do the Meeting Book as well. Today I skipped the Meeting but it still took an hour. Does that seem long to anyone? It does to me. Any suggestions?

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:01 pm

It seems long to me. Of course, I just don't teach that way. And the Meeting Time stuff makes me crazy; the primary levels of Saxon are not my cup of tea, although I like Math 54 and up.

A friend who is a certified math tutor and likes Saxon overall says that you're supposed to pick and choose the activities the dc do--IOW, you're not expected to do everything. Maybe you're doing too many things?

I guess that's not very helpful, but it's all I got, lol.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

kgianforti
User

Postby kgianforti » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:42 am

I don't use Saxon personally and that is because it seemed too repetitive and I thought my dd would get bored with it. Do you think that could be the case with yours? They are bored so math is just d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g?

redeemed22407
User

Postby redeemed22407 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:43 am

Thanks elliemae! Any insight is helpful. I have been doing everything so that could be why it takes so long.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:45 pm

I really didn't like Saxon when I looked at it. I found Saxon to be boring and very repetitive, it seemed to take FOREVER to get to the next "new" lesson. My kids would never have enough patience to wait that long to move on in their learning. They need to be able to learn it and if they master it move on immediately.

We use math u see and my kids seem to really like it so far. I like the fact that it has the DVD but is still affordable!

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:32 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

kgianforti
User

Postby kgianforti » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:21 am

redeemed22407
User

Postby redeemed22407 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:25 am

kgianforti
User

Postby kgianforti » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:08 am

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:04 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

- M. Montessori

Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Lorelei Sieja
User

I loved Saxon Math

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm really surprised at the responses to Saxon Math, and I'm wondering if it is just the younger grades that has caused problems? I used Saxon Math from book 54 through Advanced Mathematics and Physics. I tried a LOT of math programs before I settled with Saxon - Moving with Math, Making Math Meaningful, even Bob Jones Math and some more.

I never used the younger sets - 2 of my kids were older when I started, and believe it or not, the younger grades (K-3) hadn't been "made" yet when I needed them.

With level 54 and up - each DAY is a new lesson!!!!

There are 175 "lessons" in the book, for 175 school days, plus ten days of tests, or snow days, etc, so the PS can finish the book in a year. Each new day is one small bit of something new. It is taught, then there are "in class" problems using the new thing. Then there are 25 or 30 problems on the assignment. In those 25 problems, 5 are of the new thing taught. 5 are of the new thing taught yesterday, and the other 15 - 20 problems are older review.

With this method, kids retain more of what they learn, and assuming they "got" what you taught today, then EVERY DAy they should have A work! And even if they didn't understand what was taught today - they shouldn't "fail" because they should do very well on the review stuff.

Saxon doesn't clutter up the page with lots of stupid cartoons, scribbles, pictures, and junk, that really does nothing to teach math.

Saxon doesn't use pictures that would show the child if he were ahead or behind - i.e., the fourth grade book doesn't have stories about fourth grade children. If you put a tenth grader in the fourth grade book, he's not goign to be insulted every day by being "behind".

Every school that uses Saxon Math does exceptionally better on the SATs and ACTs.

And it just shocks me that when schools get money to buy new books, they throw out their Saxon books - something that "works" and buy something new!

Just my two bits. But my kids all did exceptionally well in Math, and I couldn't have done it without Saxon. If he weren't dead, I'd give him a hug. <G>

Lorelei
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

ncmom
User

Re: I loved Saxon Math

Postby ncmom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 pm

kgianforti
User

Re: I loved Saxon Math

Postby kgianforti » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:21 pm

teachinmom
User

saxon 54 and up

Postby teachinmom » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:12 pm

teachinmom
User

saxon

Postby teachinmom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks for your input.

I would like to hear from anyone who has used Saxon upper levels and is familiar with the old/new Saxon and /or hs Saxon.

I am not interested in computer math. My kids are 5th and 8th grade. I will either be sticking with MUS or going back to Saxon.

thanks.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”