Singapore or favorite math curriculum?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bubbaansissy
User

Singapore or favorite math curriculum?

Postby bubbaansissy » Sun May 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi, my ds (6) is going into gr 1, homeschool, of course. For PreK, age 4, we used Abeka K4, but this year for Kindergarten, I kind of made up my own, which worked very well. But, I think, I would rather have something more put together for us for 1st grade.

I am wondering if any of you have heard of Singapore Math or have used it. Please tell me pros/cons of it. If not, please tell me your favorite math that you have used, & of course, if your children have enjoyed it. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer this burning question for me. Sometimes, everything looks good & it's hard to choose. :o}
Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things....

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon May 25, 2009 3:02 am

I haven't used Singapore but I've heard good things about it. We use Math U See because of how it builds in a stair stepping manner. So far we've had no issues with it.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Mon May 25, 2009 7:55 am

I looked at Singapore and it is a pretty good program. I personally like the look and set up of Horizons better. We used Horizons 1 this year and it was easy to follow and dd really liked it.

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Mon May 25, 2009 11:51 am

Singapore math has many great reviews at homeschool reviews. The local deaf school has just started using singapore math with their students.

If you decide to use Singapore math make sure you do a placement test or just start with 1A for your 1st grader. If you have already taught basic addition and subtraction you might find your 1st grader may be ready for 1B and be able to skip 1A.
Sharon

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Mon May 25, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks for all your tips. I have just tested my son w/ the placement test 1A. He flew right through it, so I went ahead & ordered the 1B set. Thanks again. Much appreciated!!! :P

judyh
User

Let us know if you son loves it

Postby judyh » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:21 am

judy

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:15 pm

judyh,

i can definitely do that. the 1b set, i thumbed thru it the other day, & it looks like just where we need to be going into 1st grade.

kgianforti
User

Postby kgianforti » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:13 am

I started using Singapore Earlybird Kinder with my dd and she really enjoys it. We are almost done with Level A and most of the manipulatives I found at home. Since my dd is so young, the color and fun animals keep her attention. I am definitely happy with it and plan on continuing to the next grade with it.

I do supplement with CT math books too.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”