Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Singapore or favorite math curriculum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Singapore or favorite math curriculum? Reply with quote

Hi, my ds (6) is going into gr 1, homeschool, of course. For PreK, age 4, we used Abeka K4, but this year for Kindergarten, I kind of made up my own, which worked very well. But, I think, I would rather have something more put together for us for 1st grade.

I am wondering if any of you have heard of Singapore Math or have used it. Please tell me pros/cons of it. If not, please tell me your favorite math that you have used, & of course, if your children have enjoyed it. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer this burning question for me. Sometimes, everything looks good & it's hard to choose. Surprised}

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......
Lily
User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used Singapore but I've heard good things about it. We use Math U See because of how it builds in a stair stepping manner. So far we've had no issues with it.
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at Singapore and it is a pretty good program. I personally like the look and set up of Horizons better. We used Horizons 1 this year and it was easy to follow and dd really liked it.
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore math has many great reviews at homeschool reviews. The local deaf school has just started using singapore math with their students.

If you decide to use Singapore math make sure you do a placement test or just start with 1A for your 1st grader. If you have already taught basic addition and subtraction you might find your 1st grader may be ready for 1B and be able to skip 1A.
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your tips. I have just tested my son w/ the placement test 1A. He flew right through it, so I went ahead & ordered the 1B set. Thanks again. Much appreciated!!! Razz

judyh
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Let us know if you son loves it Reply with quote

bubbaansissy wrote:
Thanks for all your tips. I have just tested my son w/ the placement test 1A. He flew right through it, so I went ahead & ordered the 1B set. Thanks again. Much appreciated!!! Razz

Perhaps you can also let us know if your son likes the 1B set?
It will be good to hear from you since you've just got it.
I've know many parents saying that its a good curriculum and perhaps you can also give your feedback after using it with your child... Smile

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judyh,

i can definitely do that. the 1b set, i thumbed thru it the other day, & it looks like just where we need to be going into 1st grade.

kgianforti
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using Singapore Earlybird Kinder with my dd and she really enjoys it. We are almost done with Level A and most of the manipulatives I found at home. Since my dd is so young, the color and fun animals keep her attention. I am definitely happy with it and plan on continuing to the next grade with it.

I do supplement with CT math books too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: