Algebra 1 curriculum

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Isikole
User

Algebra 1 curriculum

Postby Isikole » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:38 pm

Can anyone recommend a good algebra 1 curriculum. Currently on my list is Saxon Algebra 1, Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1, and MathUSee. Can't decide which one I like the best, but I do think that Teaching Textbooks is presently the front runner...

I am looking for secular textbooks, and would appreciate any comments by any parents who have used the above.

Theodore

Re: Algebra 1 curriculum

Postby Theodore » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:29 pm

Saxon is secular (as in, no religious material whatsoever) and quite good up until the math starts being more difficult, at which point you'll probably want to switch from Saxon to something a bit more creative and a bit less drill. In my case, I went straight from Saxon Algebra II to a college Calculus textbook, since Advanced Math seemed like too much of a grind. It was all covered in the first chapter or two of the Calculus book anyhow.

Bottom line, Saxon is fine for Algebra I, and probably Algebra II, but I'm not sure whether I'd recommend it beyond that.

crzy_4_books
User

Postby crzy_4_books » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:54 am

Well don't know if you would need to go much further than Algebra2 unless they wanted to be a math major. When they are young almost any math work book will do, but I tend to favor Saxon or BJU

Theodore

Most good colleges require at least Calculus I...

Postby Theodore » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:29 pm

Well, most good colleges require at least Calculus I for any degree program. A math-based major such as Computer Science requires Calculus II or III plus Discrete Math and probably at least one other math course, and a math major requires several additional advanced-level math courses.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”