Home school and Public school college

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ChrisCC29
User

Home school and Public school college

Postby ChrisCC29 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:04 pm

I am 14 years old, and ever since I turned 14 I have been worrying about not being able to get into a good college because I am home schooled.

Being home schooled doesn't feel as official as public school, it all feels fake.
Will I get a REAL grades, REAL tests, and a REAL diploma?

Because I am home schooled, does it kill my chances to get into a big-named college such as, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, ect?
Can I get into a good college?

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:19 pm

There are homeschooled kids that get into the ivy league schools all the time, if their grades and test scores measure up. If you look at the Harvard application there is a place to check off if you are homeschooled. At this point if you are looking to go to an Ivy League school I would suggest making sure you are taking a rigorous course load. If you have the opportunity to take course at a local college (4 or 2 year) in addition to your regular course work I would do that. Make sure your course work is up to AP standards and then take AP tests. You probably also want to make sure you volunteer or have some extracurricular activities also. Most schools are looking for well rounded students. Homeschooling should not hold you back if you apply yourself.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”