Help me to teach my son to hold his pencil correctly

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

janineb781
User

Help me to teach my son to hold his pencil correctly

Postby janineb781 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Any tips for this. He seems to struggle holding his pencil correctly. When I put his fingers in the correct position he rights terrible. He can right well holding it in his fist. I did not teach him this nor do I promote it. He is five years old almost six. He will be starting kindergarten this year.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:06 am

Do you mean hold it sideways in the fist? I know the proper position is supposedly to hold it in the fingertips of the first three fingers, but I always bent my second finger and let it rest across that for better stability. Downside is you tend to chafe on your finger if you do a lot of fast writing, but the pencil is easier to handle that way, and almost all of your writing will be typed in actual practice.

EDIT: Incidently, this is only a problem if he's going to public school. Lots of kids start out a bit slow with writing and even reading, then suddenly spead ahead and pass everyone else.

macro_grp02
User

Practice

Postby macro_grp02 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:44 am

I think the best way a child can learn holding a pencil is to let him or her draw using big crayons first. Let them do this as long as they want. And then gradually move on to smaller and thinner crayons. And then move on to bigger pencils. I think that there's really not a fixed way to hold a pencil so let them explore. :D

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:29 pm

I never learned the "proper" way to type either, but I can easily go 50+ wpm with decent accuracy, so it hasn't hurt me much. Writing will probably be the same way :)

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”