Know any umbrella schools for NY?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

barritone
User

Know any umbrella schools for NY?

Postby barritone » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:01 pm

I had my kids registered with an umbrella school in Florida. Now I'm in NY, and would like to find one that would cover me here. Does anyone know of any? I just want one that charges a fee and covers me letting me use my own curriculum.

wrightno
User

What umbrella school were you registered with in Florida?

Postby wrightno » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi,
I was just wondering what umbrella school you were with in Florida!
natasha w.

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:09 pm

NY does not require an umbrella school to homeschool. All you need to do is send in your letter of intent, ihip and then quarterly reports (which do not need to be that detailed).

barritone
User

Postby barritone » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:01 pm

In Florida I used Crossroads christian. I know NY doesn't require one. I want to use one so I don't have to send all that paperwork.

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:43 am

Here is a link to a site that list some programs that can be used like that. http://homeschoolnyc.com/homeschooling- ... dence.html

I am not sure how good any of them are. Everyone I know sends in their own paperwork. It usually only takes me 5 minutes to fill out the quarterly (the IHIP is even quicker) and then dh just faxes it over to the district. I think we can email it too but we have gotten in the habit of faxing it. I know the idea of the paperwork can sound time consuming and a pain but it really isn't (ok maybe a little of a pain but not bad). You do not even need to keep a portfolio of work if you do not want to.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

kerry1968
User

Postby kerry1968 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:12 pm

NY state doesn't allow for them instead of their supervision. I tried it and was told that I could add it to my program but still need to be accountable to them.

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Sharon

Return to “Getting Started”