Phonics/Reading Books/Curriculum

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

KristaBelk
User

Phonics/Reading Books/Curriculum

Postby KristaBelk » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 pm

My 2 1/2 is showing signs of brightness. She recognizes 24-25/26 of her capital letters and most of her little letters. She probably isn't quite ready to start reading but I think she will be soon.

Does anyone have tips on how to start and also good books or curriculum for Phonics/Reading to start with.

-Krista.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:10 am

Spalding. The Writing Road to Reading is the manual for the Spalding Method. You could read through the manual now and get some really good ideas on how to develop phonemic awareness in your dd, how to help her learn to form her letters properly (which in the beginning is just helping develop left-to-right directionality), and more. When she's 5ish you could begin working with her more "officially," but by then she could be recognizing all her letters (Spalding recommends teaching lower case first, then upper case) and their sounds and probably reading some words.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:07 am

When my children were that young, I worked with them using Leap Frog Fridge Magnets. I would use them to teach the letters, play little games with them, teach them to spell their names, etc.

When I felt like they were ready to blend, I would put a couple of magnets up on the fridge and teach them how to put the sounds together. I'd start with 2 letters and then move to 3.

It was kind of just a fun game we would play that didn't require stress on either of our parts, but actually taught them.

You could also play games like alphabet bingo, memory, etc. to reinforce letter sounds.

When they are ready to read, Bob Books are a good place to start.

Carletta

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”