Teaching reading with craft projects and games?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

MSDST8
User

Teaching reading with craft projects and games?

Postby MSDST8 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 am

My son is 4.5 and has a good foundation already. He knows the letters and sounds. He rhymes and loves story time. He's an active boy that loves sports and moving. He's visual, loves to tell jokes, makes picture stories on the computer using clip art, etc.

He really pulls concepts together. We are constantly amazed at the breathe of his knowledge and how he processes info. He's also a math whiz. Counting his money, adding, subtracting...it's actually funny at times when he tells me there should be two more snacks because we started with 5, and he only ate 3. He then wants to know where the missing one went.

So, I would like to work with him on reading/phonics and I'm thinking I can do this through crafts and games. Possible? Ideas?

I'm comfortable doing this with a non-craft program. I'll take suggestions.

Oh, I have access to a teacher learning center. Want me to provide the link to search their database of offerings? I would love if you would tell me books/games/kits I might want to get.

Thanks so much!
Brenda

MSDST8
User

Postby MSDST8 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:45 pm

So, I'm trying something... I'm learning Flash to make my own mini programs for my son. I have two words made...Cat and Hat.

It starts off with "at" on the screen, then the C slides in and hits the at. A cat appears and moves from side to side.

The at stays on the screen and an H drops in, it bounces and bumps the at. A hat appears and shakes.

I haven't added sound yet and I have no evidence this will teach him anything. But it's teaching me flash!
Bren

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Tue May 12, 2009 6:32 am

There are alot of books out there that show how to make "reading skills" games from file folders. There may be some websites with free ones too, but I haven't checked on that.

Best wishes!
Jill

Lorelei Sieja
User

Reading Ladder

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:15 pm

Here's a simple game I did with my 4.5 year old many years ago. We took three blocks, and taped a letter to the top of each block. We drew a ladder on a sheet of cardboard. Then we put one block on each of the bottom three rungs. I placed a raisin on each rung above. If you can picture this, the bottom three rungs might have the letters T, A, M on them. She'd sound them out. "tuh, ah, muh". Then eat the raisin, and move the bottom block - the M - up to the next open rung. Then she'd read that group: "muh, Tu, Ah". Another raisin. Sometimes the three letters would form a word, sometimes not. We tried doing this with matchbox cars on a road we drew on paper, too.

Sometimes she would draw out magnetic letters from a hat, and place them on the magnetic dry-write board. I would have placed only certain letters in there, so she didn't have the whole alphabet. She'd arrange and rearrange the letters to see if she could make a word.

There are dozens of simple, home-made, reading and phonics games you can do!
Lorelei
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

riccalo
User

Postby riccalo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:39 pm

You might like the board game Bananagrams. It's a word game in which lettered tiles are used to spell words. It's been compared to Scrabble but Bananagrams does not require a pencil, paper or board. The object of the game is to arrange your tiles faster than your opponents and be the first to cause the pool of unused tiles to be exhausted. You could easily tweak the game to suit a 4 and half year old or help him to play along with the rest of the family. It can be purchased through www.amazon.com .

-Erica

(Edited to correct spelling error.)

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:41 am

My dd initially learned how to recognise numbers and count through playing bingo :D
Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

MSDST8
User

Postby MSDST8 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:42 am

macro_grp02
User

Online Games

Postby macro_grp02 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:47 pm

How about on the net. There are a lot of online games that are free and should be very appropriate for a 4.5. You could also do a lot of games and trips outdoors. You can get the conversation flowing in a park or in a zoo.

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:49 am

I found some free online games. Check the links under younger students here:

http://www.homeschool-by-design.com/fre ... games.html

for some reading/phonics games.
Jill

rhi
User

Postby rhi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:28 pm

It sounds like from your update you've progressed and found some interesting ways for him to learn. I have to admit I'm a strong proponent for phonics over memorization. When my oldest dd was in school they did everything by memorization instead of phonics, my youngest dd went to school and they did everything by phonics in those two kids there are big differences in their learning and how they get anything relating to language arts just because of the two different learning styles.
~rhi~

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:12 am

Congratulations on utilising your son's interests to continue making learning as fun as possible. All the examples given are awesome. Well done everyone!
Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

Return to “Getting Started”